Debris from rim jets during/after plunging

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by CY7, Mar 22, 2018.

1. CY7

CY7 New Member

I haven't found much addressing this issue online (this is the best I could find).

About a month ago I plunged the toilet and shortly afterward noticed literal bits of crap and toilet paper coming out of the rim jets when flushing. The front right quadrant (when facing the toilet) rim jets had water coming out slowly or not at all (slightly improving after repeated flushings to clear debris). This took a few days and over 100 flushes to clear it.

Since then I've had to plunge a few more times, and the issue has recurred. The most recent plunging I noticed that crap and toilet paper was coming out the rim jets while plunging (starting at the back of the toilet, and working around toward the front), and now debris is again coming out of the rim jets while flushing.

Is there any way (other than refraining from plunging the toilet) to stop this from happening? Does this indicate that something (e.g. a check valve) is broken in the toilet? Should the toilet be replaced?

How can I convince my landlord that this is happening? He came over the first time this issue happened and was convinced that it was rust debris from the bolts in the tank. He said he called his plumber and described what I said was happening and his plumber laughed at the idea.

If the toilet needs to be replaced, what's the best way of convincing my landlord it needs to be replaced?

Toilet model: Water Ridge C210912 1.28 gpf - apparently not a good toilet.

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    Some of the water coming from the tank is directed to the small holes around the rim while a larger amount shoots through a larger hole below the water line. Since both are fed from the same source and since there is nothing to prevent reversal of flow, it stands to reason that vigorous plunging can send carp up and out the rim holes.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If you present it as an upgrade rather than trying to establish blame, he may have a different mindset. Select a toilet, and offer to split the costs?

Really, a good toilet should seldom if ever need plunging with normal use.

I am not a landlord or tenant.

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    There are a few reasons why a toilet might clog:
    - excess extra thick toilet paper
    - really large, hard BM
    - a partial clog in the drain line
    - an incorrectly setup toilet (not the proper amount of water in the tank or bowl prior to flushing)
    - clogged internal water passageways - these include the rim jets, the siphon jet, and the trapway
    - a lousy toilet.

Until you determine which one(s), it's hard to say you need a new toilet. Some of the original low-flow toilets were pathetic and would clog frequently. Not everyone's figured out how to do it well with their newest designs, either, but most are at least reasonable.

6. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    Have you looked inside the tank? The bolt tops do rust and flake pieces of rust can come loose. They’ll look like small black pieces on the water but never cause blockage.

What was said above that the rim and the bowl water are connected. It’s only true when there is a siphon jet in the bowl. If there is a hole at the bottom of the bowl you have it.

Changing a toilet is not that difficult and there are thousands of you tubes videos showing how to. If you have some basic tools and perhaps a buddy that had done it, go to Home Depot and get there $100 glacier bay model. Not the best but better than what you have and change it yourself. Just tell the landlord that you’ll take the cost of parts off the rent. He just might go for it since a plumber will install and higher grade toilet and the bill could be over $500. But he might be a nice guy and have it replaced. Tell him a good flush is better than a full house.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  7. CY7

CY7 New Member

Thanks to everyone for the information and advice.

I didn't know that new toilets lacked a siphon jet, but that sounds like a good option.

I checked inside the tank first thing, and while there is a little bit of rust that rust is not the problem (it doesn't even appear to have moved since I first checked it after the first event). It's incredibly obvious that the relatively large pieces of debris are fecal matter and toilet paper for the first one or two dozen flushes, but our landlord didn't see it until after I'd already flushed the toilet many times and the debris pieces were much smaller.

In decades of plunging a variety of toilets at various apartments and houses this issue had never happened before, however I had to plunge this toilet more often than prior toilets.

I'm looking into toilets and will consider a DIY install.

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I think a toilet you would be looking at would have a siphon jet, but not one of those little holes. I think the trend is to siphon jets that are bigger, and would be less likely to clog.

9. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    I would not go out of my way to look for a replacement that doesn't use a jet. I replaced two old school toilets that plugged easy, didn't have a jet, and used more water than the current ones that have a jet and hardly ever plugs. Most often if they do plug, just leaving them soak for a bit gets them moving on the next flush. Pouring warm soapy water in the bowl helps. Don't use hot water if you have a wax seal (don't ask).

10. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    I take back my comment above. I have a newly install Toto Drake and it has a siphon jet. It works 5 stars.