Dead leg

Users who are viewing this thread

Netmouse

Reaction score
A plumber left two short "dead legs" when he cut pipes to the tankless coil that was removed when a hot water tank was installed. The attached image is of one. He put a cap on the end of the cut pipes, instead of removing the pipe back to the main pipe. It just seems lazy. I read a lot about NOT allowing dead legs of any length as water stagnates and can grow bacteria. I complained and he now has faucets on the ends so I can drain the pipes, which seems odd. I think he felt it was too complicated to totally remove the pipes. It this an issue? Should I just get another plumber in here to do this differently?

Attachments

• dead leg.jpg
    dead leg.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3,514

Jm66208

Reaction score
Not the end of the world, but to me it's just sloppy lazy plumbing. Not so much leaving that dead leg, but screwing what appears to be a steel cap onto that sharkbite fitting. He could have cut most of that dead leg off & soldered on a cap in about 5 min. or spend another 5 min & replace that copper tee with an elbow.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It looks like he did not want to install another hanger so he just cut the pipe past the one that was already there. If it concerns you, just remove the cap/faucet and cut the pipe off as short as possible and reinstall the cap on your new stub. There is no problem with a "short" dead end, just very long ones.

Last edited:

Netmouse

Reaction score
Thank you! Appreciate your feedback. It seems OK if nothing more is done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks