Dangerous situation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Crusader

Reaction score
I had an electrician come to my house because several outlets and light switches were not working in a few rooms in my house. He was at the house for four hours. He checked the breaker boxes and found no problems. He checked 20 or 30 outlets and switches and found no problems. He was only able to identify the hot and cold outlets, which I already knew. He provided a solution but did not fix the problem. He rewired the one outlet and everything is back in working order. However, he was miffed that he was unable to find the "hot wire" he called it that remains exposed somewhere in the house. I asked if he was concerned and he kind of shrugged. I just want to know if this is a dangerous situation and whether another electrician might be able to provide answers.
Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on what was actually done. Abandoning a dead, disconnected wire in the wall is okay...leaving a hot wire, unterminated is not. It should not have been all that hard to find the run where the break was, and disconnect it at both ends...that is probably what happened rather than him finding the actual break and repairing it, he ran a new cable.

Reach4

Reaction score
Let's say you want to sleep better. Consider putting an AFCI breaker for that circuit. That way if there is arcing due to some half-fast hot wire, the breaker should open.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
It's not ideal. Without some more detailed info no one here could say what the danger level is.

Little known National Electric Code oddity......Live wire ends are not required to be in a junction box, only splices are.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It appears that he is feeding both ends of a 'broken" wire. Whether there is a problem with it or not depends on WHERE the break is and why it happened.

Crusader

Reaction score
It depends on what was actually done. Abandoning a dead, disconnected wire in the wall is okay...leaving a hot wire, unterminated is not. It should not have been all that hard to find the run where the break was, and disconnect it at both ends...that is probably what happened rather than him finding the actual break and repairing it, he ran a new cable.
Ok thanks
Let's say you want to sleep better. Consider putting an AFCI breaker for that circuit. That way if there is arcing due to some half-fast hot wire, the breaker should open.
It appears that he is feeding both ends of a 'broken" wire. Whether there is a problem with it or not depends on WHERE the break is and why it happened.
Thanks everyone. I called another electrician. He told me he has to undo what the other guy did, and he's confident it'll be an easy fix. He basically told me the other guy didn't know what he was doing. He's coming next week.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks