Danco shower valve stem shredded

Users who are viewing this thread

MTy

Reaction score
I got up this morning to use my one working shower to find out it wasn't working. Both hot and cold water were coming out of the tub spout but nothing from the shower head. Turned the tub back on to see pieces of rubber coming out.

Got home from work and pulled the diverter stem (which I replaced 1 month ago, along with the hot and cold stems), nothing wrong. Then pulled the hot and cold, the rubber stop on the hot is shredded. Its only a month old. I could not get the original seats out so I left them in place. They felt find so didn't think there would be any issue.

Is that the cause? The other two are fine and were against original seats.

Anything else that could cause this? The shower worked just fine the night before.

The line is connected to the 3/4 lines I recently soldered for my Master Bath reno. I worked hard to keep debris out of the lines but some copper from deburring could have gotten in. Maybe that is it?

Is there a way to flush the lines before putting the stems back in and replacing the bad one? The valve sits about a half inch back from the finished wall which is tile on mud. Don't mind trying to flush them but don't want a watery mess, suggestions? I have access from behind because if the master reno.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you do a total reno, why not replacing the rough in body as well?
Danco parts sometimes don't fit well with old rough in bodies like PP or others.
If you have your access, just get a new faucet, especially when you know how to solder.
You can even switch to a one handle anti scalding valve, then use an elongated cover plate for the three holes.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the valve bodys last decades . But I changed 3 last week on one guys house 1990 pp single handle was leaking at handle going inside the wall . wound up with a mess and insurance claim The H. O. told me get rid of all of his 1990 crap he dosent want new cartridge installed.
Get original parts, flush it out should be ok or put new its your house your decision. But If my valves are 20 years old Im putting new if I open wall, but if customer wants to keep the old its thier choice.

MTy

Reaction score
40 years in my case. Yea, I thought long and hard about replacing it back before I started the other reno since it needed repairing and I knew I'd have the back wall open. But there were a number of reasons I didn't, expense, ugly and expensive remodel plates that didn't match the style in the bathroom. Not to mention the tile in the bathroom sits on a mudded wall with lathe right up to the valve body. Not sure I could get a single valve in the space with some serious work. I could purchase a new stem or two a year for a few years and still come out ahead time and money wise. And by then I may decide to redo the guest bath.

Couldn't find any debris. So just replaced it and will see what happens.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
put new seats as well . Its PP 3 handle ? they rebuild well . You could replace the valve too just put the same in till you decide to remodel that room

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks