Damaged pump cable ground wire in shallow well

Users who are viewing this thread

FingerLakes

Reaction score
I have a shallow lake well with a 2 wire (2 wire &ground) submersible well pump.
I was repositioning the pump in the well recently and noticed a small "bite" in the 12awg (3 wire) pump wire feeding the well pump. Inspecting closer, I found a cut in the pump cable that through the outside insulation jacket and penetrated into the green ground wire exposing some of the stranded copper wire. The damage is confined to the green ground wire and not the other 2 hot wires. The portion of pump cable with the damage is near the pump and completely submerged in the water. The pump operation is fine so I dropped it back in the well. FYI I was moving the pump as part of a seasonal water level change routine, not anything electrical related.

My question is, is this super dangerous, like an emergency situation that I need to address immediately?
I do intend to splice in a new undamaged section of well cable, but I need to buy a splice kit, some pump cable itself. I was going to make this repair in the coming weeks when I have more time. Is this something urgent, should I make it a priority?

Thanks for your help.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would run the hot and neutral through a GFCI breaker. That should keep everybody safe, but you could get nuisance trips.

Regarding the nick on the green ground wire, that wire does not even need to be insulated. You might tape over the nicked insulation area anyway.

I would wrap the nicks with Scotch 33+ tape over a space. I am not a pro.

Last edited:

FingerLakes

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I know the ground wire does not carry current, so I figured it is ok. I just wanted to double check with someone else.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks