Damaged ABS closet flange. What to do?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by PoopTrooper, May 15, 2019.

1. PoopTrooper

PoopTrooper New Member

Our upstairs toilet has been rocking since we moved in. The tile underneath is very uneven, and the toilet had been shimmed at one point but the shims came loose and there was no caulk holding the toilet down.

I pulled the toilet, there’s no sign of leaking underneath, but the ABS flange has been warped from the rocking. The warped edges didn't seem to interfere with the toilet when I dry fit it, but the notches do a really sloppy job of retaining the bolts, and the left one has a crack leading from it.

I think shimming and caulking the toilet will work once it’s back on, but I should probably do something with this flange. With the reading I have done, my best guess at this point is to try and level the flange off with a sanding wheel, and using a repair ring to hold the bolts like the red ones Terry uses.

My questions at this point are:
    1. Do I have the right fix in mind, or should I be doing something else?
    2. What should/will I be running screws into to hold a repair ring down? The flange, or through the grout or tile?
    3. What kind of repair ring should I use, and where can I find it? I don’t seem to be finding it at HD or Lowe’s. There’s this that I don’t about: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-Oatey-Stainless-Steel-Replacement-Flange-Ring-427782/303864005 There’s also this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/NEXT-by-Danco-HydroSeat-Toilet-Flange-Repair-10672X/204403879, but I don’t know if the rubber seal is as good as wax.
    B0F3ED07-F53A-4575-8F7D-697E8CBA4317.jpeg 9E30629F-E728-450F-A967-77E10783F815.jpeg 3B49352F-9A4F-494C-9C4C-8E3DA0091354.jpeg 93631250-DAEA-40DE-B37D-E32C04FAD150.jpeg
    Thank you for your help.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Every hardware store has their own flange repair rings. I have even used washers and wood screws to hold the closet bolts in place when needed. The part of the flange that you have will seal, it's just a matter of holding the bolts in place.

Once the bolts are firmed up...........

Dry set the bowl and shim at the back to remove the rocking
    Lift bowl and drop a wax without ring. A regular wax ring
    Drop bowl back down and press to the floor.
    Bolt cap flat piece, drop a washer and thread the nuts up.
    After the water is in the tank and you've flushed a few times, you can trim the bolts if needed, and then snug them up.
    Pop the bolt caps on and your ready to caulk the bowl to the floor, leaving out the caulking at the back. I use a clear water base caulking.
    I absolutely hate to follow up a bowl that has been glued to the floor with Silicone. They have to be cut off. Nope!

[​IMG]

I just saw this one today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement