Daisy chaining extension cords - how much is too much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Theodore

Reaction score
Still without power in my neighborhood after storm, but my generator is running. My neighbor lives 225ft away from my generator and is completely without power.

I have:

1. one 12gage-100ft long extension cord
2. one 16gage-100ft long extension cord
3. one 16 gage-50ft long extension cord.

Is there anything I can offer that would be SAFE to do so? The voltage drop would be considerable for such a length, and I'm sure would kill any appliance like her refrigerator. But is it possible to say "hey, you can plug in ...your phone charger and a lamp and maybe a fan" ? (until I shut down at 11:30PM).
Just trying to be helpful/neighborly.
Theodore

P.S.: I did a quick voltage drop calc and got avg 14gage @ 250ft assuming 10amp load = 13volt drop @ end, or 107VAC.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THe biggest limiting factor is the 16g section. If it had all been 12g, you should have been able to feed about 5A max with an acceptable voltage drop.

5A would net 5*108 or 540W at about 108vac if fed with 120vac, so certainly would charge a cellphone and run a few lights, but no major appliances.

If it was 12g all of the way, you'd only lose about 3v with 5A load, and be about equal to the run when at 16g running 15A through it. Now, you shouldn't really run 15A through a 16g wire, especially one that long.

Now, the plugs on the cables will likely get warm, but being in the open air, shouldn't overheat...just don't leave any of it coiled up which will act like an inductor and create more heat.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Be sure that the generator or one of the extension cords have a GFCI. A rain shower or damp ground won't mix very well. New generators have them built in. I once did extend extension cords to my two next door neighbors. One neighbor tried to use the microwave and the generator nearly stalled out. The other just needed it for his fish tank. The refrigerator will not be able to function 100% and with it's digital controls I would not do it. By now the food is probably spoiled anyway. It be OK for some lights (LED) and fans, maybe one TV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks