Cutting Threaded Sleeve

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Johnson

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

Sorry if this is an easy question, but I've searched the archives, and have googled around a bit, but haven't been able to find the answer. Hence, I'm going straight to the experts.

I'm trying to install a tub faucet and handles. The handles have escutcheons which screw onto brass threaded sleeves. The sleeves are too long, and the very brief instructions say to cut them to length.

What's the best way to cut the threaded sleeve? I'm concerned about getting a relatively straight cut that doesn't screw up the threads. Is this a simple job for a hacksaw, or is there a better solution?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you can find a nut with the right threads, it works pretty well to run it down to the right place and use it as a guide to saw the part off. It also acts like a die and cleans up the threads when you take it off.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
saw

Use a "mini" hack with a very fine blade. The threads are somewhat loose so you would really have to work at it to damage them to the point the escutcheons would not screw on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks