cutting pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

jvl

Reaction score
hello,i am having a problem cutting the galvanized drain pipe under a house.using a reciprocating saw and laying on my back ,i seem to have a problem of cutting it straight.is there a secret or a guide that i should know about.thanks jvl

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Keep the shoe of sawzall flat against the pipe.Start out slow untill cut to
inside of pipe.SAFTY GLASSES!

JeffH

Reaction score
Take your time...

#1 - Wear safety glasses
#2 - Practice on scrap pieces.
#3 - Use the right size/type blade for the job.
#4 - The shoe is meant to be a guide for leveling and stability. Hold the shoe tight to the pipe. Lock your arm against your body for stability. When you start to cut while keeping the shoe against the pipe, let the tool do the work. Eventually, you'll get a feel for when to apply more/less pressure. Just like welding/soldering it's always good to practice on scrap pieces to build confidence.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Galvanized is not so hard to cut. Use a new metal cutting blade. Are you sure it's not cast iron? That's different!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The lennox gold will do the cast iron too... Recently I used the same blade
1 1/2 days on a job cutting cast and galv.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Try a Milwaukee "Torch" blade.
Lennox is the name I usually get for hole saws and blades, but the Torch's are fantastic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks