Cutting pipe and soldering pipe snug against a joist

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have a copper pipe coming down through the floor and is hugging the joist. It originally made it's way through the top floor down into the garage and through the garage ceiling so the fitting had access to solder an elbow as it dangled on the outside of the ceiling. So straight pipe straight pipe from top level down into garage hugging the joist. So now as we consider moving the pipes up into the ceiling. This straight pipe needs to be cut up along the joist. There is no room between the pipe and joist for a pipe cutter of any size, probably 1 cm of clearance.
This is my hope, once I cut the pipe free from the current garage ceiling line, the pipe will have more give and pull out a tad from the Joist. But the pipe is coming from the floor above and is fit through a hole so the play I will get is small as it is fed through a tight hole 12" above.
I was thinking I could cut the pipe against the joist with a hacksaw? (not cutting the joist) After it is cut, see if I can pull it out from the flush joist a bit and make a cleaner second cut with a pipe cutter? (not sure the hacksaw cut will be straight? so a follow up cut may be required if the pipe can be pulled away from the joist to fit a compact cutter.
I am not sure if I can get a torch or a shield up there in between for a new 90 fitting. So I was thinking of introducing a 90 sharkbite fitting for this one turn? Push it up there?

Pretty tight, anyone have any good tips or suggestions for this rookie. I will have a plumber with me, but getting some initial advice would be helpful for this situation?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A Sharkbite requires the pipe ends to be smooth and ideally a straight cut, or you're likely to damage the O-ring, and it will leak.

As the pipe temperature changes, it will expand or contract, so tight up against a joist is not a great idea, either. Otherwise, it can make some annoying clicking or popping noises as it moves against that tight spot. This is more of an issue with a hot supply than a cold one.

You certainly could cut it with a hacksaw. Just try to clean out any chips you produce as they may end up caught in the washer or cartridge of anything downstream of it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
cut it like you said wet the joist with squirt bottle put piece small piece of sheet metal betweenjoist and copper wedge 16 penny nail between joist and copper to hold pipe slightly away. clean prep slip 90 on burn it. remove nail and sheet metal proceed with job easy peasy

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
pro press wont fit . home owner dosent have one . if a shark bite will fit then its not close to joist even if its touching the joist . Just have a squirt bottle. Dont sweat it just burn it (pun intended)
All the steps will determine if its easy or hard get ladder in position , make hole in drywall big enough to work, clean and debur pipe. very important get water out of pipe. have a guy on other side view as well perhaps . inspect finish joint with mirror, have adequate lighting.
This stuff is really easy but you gotta stack odds in favor of winning good luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks