Cutting out bad control valve between two ball valves. Yikes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Called out to remove a bad control valve located between two ball valves in a large building installed on 1-1/2" copper lines. Most of the piping that it supplied was twenty feet overhead in a building at least two hundred feet long.

remove-control-valve-1.jpg

Very little space between the ball valves and almost no pipe movement when cut. I was going to use a slip coupling and needed enough space to slide it one direction and back down again over the mating pipe. Not the type of math you want to make a mistake with. Be off a little and job job becomes instantly more difficult.

And how do you solder a line between two shutoff without blowing a hole in the last solder joint? It was a reason why the entire building would be drained down to prevent that. Or, perhaps a way to let heated air escape and then cap the open line off afterwards.

remove-control-valve-2.jpg

That little space between the top ball valve and the slip coupling was all we had to work with. It was enough.
And no, I did not have a stick of 1-1/2" copper on my van.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks