cutting opening for undermonunt kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Darren

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm going to be installing a undermount kitchen sink in a butcherblock countertop. Does anyone know the best approach re cutting with a jig saw and following up with a straight rounter; or do I want to make a plywood templete and cut the entire opening with a router. Any advise is appreciated.

Darren

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Because a jig saw blade can wander (a lot!) make sure you leave a good margin. IT could look great on the top, but the blade could bend in the cut and be way off on the back side. Once you get the main slabe cut out, then, use a template with a bearing on the router to follow the template to clean up the cut (a down-cut spiral bit might work best). Since the thickness is likely high, to keep the bit from chattering, it may be best to use several bearings to gradually take it down to the exact size. Trying to keep the wood looking good with the moisture around the sink might be tough. Good luck.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I only have 30 years experience in the trades but, in my humble opinion you should NOT use a jig saw unless the top is 3/4" or less and you don't care how it looks.
I would first recommend you have a countertop shop do this for you. But, if you must do it: Use a circular saw with a very high quality smooth cutting blade for the runs, cut from the back side and use clamped or screwed guides. Only use a jig saw to connect at the corners.
And fergodsakes, this is a plumbing site not countertop carpentry.

Wood and water do not do well over time and I have personally replaced a dozen sinks for customers who didn't like the deterioration after a few years.

Last edited:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
i only have 43 yrs in the trades

my son and i have a welding and woodworking shop. soo we would use our largest [3 hp] router guided by a ply. temp.

not everyone has our recources. do the best you can with what you have.

if you use a jig saw, use long blade and go slow, it will want to wander.

use 2 blades! after 1/2 way put in another new [course tooth] blade.
good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks