Cutting old galvanized to couple to new brass or PVC P trap. Nervous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't worry it might not have broke . hopefully you can use a cut off wheel get nice clean cut after you break out concrete

Modulerics

Reaction score
Alright. After a 45 it looks like more galvanized that's then leaded into a cast iron hub. Thoughts?

20221024_143933_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Alright. After a 45 it looks like more galvanized that's then leaded into a cast iron hub. Thoughts?
so you might have a tiny amount of movement and when you are a foot or so away from pivot point looks worse as the end moves an inch or so. 3 ways to go here cut the arm look inside and if it looks clean just go from there , but again test it with running water . use a Fernco.
2nd way get a good back up on the 45 and try unscrewing but we know it might collapse again.
3rd way go back and remove the lead and oakum (probably pretty easy) I'd try testing and see if its solid by running water no sense taking out the lead if its still not sound connection but my gut says you'll be good at the leaded joint and use a rubber donut

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That is your lead packed joint there. It's where they shoved the 1.5" galvanized into the 2" hub.
You can either use a 2x1.5 donut or a 2" donut depending on what size pipe you want to use.

index.php

2" donut and 2" pipe

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like Mr Love was right about being leaded in!
I think I'd consider a 2 inch trap and arm I'd want to run a snake down at least before calling it good

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd get rid of all the galvanized and handle it the way Terry suggested.

Modulerics

Reaction score
That is your lead packed joint there. It's where they shoved the 1.5" galvanized into the 2" hub.
You can either use a 2x1.5 donut or a 2" donut depending on what size pipe you want to use.

index.php

2" donut and 2" pipe
Yep. Had to do it with the toilet flange. I think I'll do that here. I don't want to return old galvanized that already clogged up. Will like do the 2" w the 2 x 1.5 flush bushing inside it then build from there. I like that.

I will say that galvanized is in at a crazy angle which adds to me not liking it and and wanting to remove it.

20221024_152255_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20221024_152300_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks