Cutting Cast Iron?

Users who are viewing this thread

ronquick

Reaction score
During a remodel befor I purchased my home the contractor moved the bathroom and left a 6' piece of sewer pipe in the ceiling joist. I tried to cut it with a carbide blade and it didn't scrath the surface. How do I cut it to remove? What type of balde do I need?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
During a remodel befor I purchased my home the contractor moved the bathroom and left a 6' piece of sewer pipe in the ceiling joist. I tried to cut it with a carbide blade and it didn't scrath the surface. How do I cut it to remove? What type of balde do I need?

You can go rent a pair of snap cutters, or do like I do give it a good hard whack with a lb hammer. Make sure you wear safety glasses in ether case.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
These are the type I use there is a couple other types that work well except the huge scissor type.

226_Soil_Pipe_Cutter_3C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Xroad

Reaction score
I just finish replacing a section of cracked 4" cast iron pipe. Do a search for that thread. Lots of good recomendations. SOme better than others. Here is what I learned.

Chain snap cutter is best, but old pipe can collapse on you. That is what happened to me. ONe good clean cut, one bad cut and the cut line went the wrong way and I have to cut the pipe further back. Maks sure there are plenty of pipes left.

Once the snap cuter goes bad happened, you'll have to use a grinder with a carbide disk. I got the sawzall blade with carbide grit blade, very slow and tiring. I gt the metal blade for cutting metal and cast pipe. Not as slow as the sawzall but still slow. The carbide embedded grits heats up and melts off or the molten cast iron material clogs up the teeth. 4" grinder is MUCH faster. I had a 3/16 thick disk. Friend told me to use a thinner disk. Less material being taken ot and it will create less heat. Thinner disk is easier to break. Either way, do not twist the grinder when the blade is in slot. Wear eye, or even better, face protection.

If this is a pipe you want to destroy and not use, a sledge hammer. I broke up a section so it is easier to handdle when I pack it n the garbage. My friend have a stone work hammer with a sharper tip. It also worked well in cracking up the cast iron. Easier than a sledge, lighter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cut

Use a diamond wheel instead of the grinding wheel. It will last for months, mine has lasted years, and has a very thin cut.It also cuts tile and steel bars.

Xroad

Reaction score
Hi, HJ,

Are there different diamond blades? I made a mistake in my previous entry, I used a diamond blade on my 4" grinder, NOT a carbide embedded metal blade. On my trial run on a scrap piece of cast iron, I find the carbide disk cut faster than the diamond blade. Maybe I got a "lower grade" (if there is such thing) of diamond blade?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
blade

The one I am using was about medium grade, and yes there are many grades. The price usually indicates the grade. My experience is that it cut much faster than the cutting wheel, especially after a couple of cuts, since the abrasive wheel wears away and gets smaller.

Xroad

Reaction score
Ideal situation is the chain snap cutter. There is a certain mental tension as you tighten the chain. Once it snaps, comes the satisfied and relief feeling. Once things goes bad, and the grinder comes out, prepare for all the sparks and noise racket.

I told my friend about my feeling regarding the snap cutter ..... he asked me if I lit a cigarette afterward.:D

snap_cutter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks