1. Bob from accounting

Bob from accounting Member

I was hoping to not have to buy another tool for this job. So maybe something I have will work.
    I wan to cut some 2" abs drain pipe. I have a small hacksaw that would take 3 days to use, yes 72 hours of sawing..:) I could try the string trick or cable trick, but the pipe is hung and I don't want to put to much pressure on it like cutting with a cord would require.
    I do have a multi tool or oscillating saw. I may need to buy like a 10$ accessory. Anyone use a multi tool to cut pipe? Any suggestions on a tip to use? Thanks!

No circular saw or pipe hand saw, or 70$ pipe cutter for 2". Just trying to use what I got already.

2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    A jig saw or sawzall. We use a sawzall on a regular basis. It's faster.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. wwhitney

wwhitney Active Member

If you don't have a reciprocating saw, a multitool will work with a wood blade. The cut will be a bit rough, you'll have to scrape some curled up plastic whiskers off and then smooth the end. Plus do the usual deburring/beveling.

To make a guide for cutting square, take some blue tape and wrap it around the pipe with the sticky side out. Pull it tight and line up the edges, then overlap it to make a cylindrical sleeve. You can slide it to your cut mark and then tape it in place with another piece of tape. Follow the edge of the tape as you are cutting.

Cheers, Wayne

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    A good hand saw for wood would work, too. To help keep your cut square, you could make yourself a jig out of some 2x materials. Make a U-shaped trough that will fit over the pipe. Use preferably something like a table saw or radial arm saw to cut a saw kerf through the standing arm pair, slide that over the pipe with the kerf where you want to make the cut, and use the hand saw, letting the kerf be your guide to keep it square. With some experience and a good blade, you can freehand the cuts. Some cheaper blades will tend to cut on one side more than the other, and always make a taper. Better ones are more balanced and can cut straighter.

6. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young Active Member

yea use your oscilating tool.