Cut over for domestic well and city water supplies

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
I have both city water and a domestic well at my home, and am also re-plumbing. I currently have a series of valves and check valves to allow the house plumbing to be cut over between city water and well water and don't think that will pass inspection.

What is the preferred way to plumb a water supply cut over for city versus well?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Some cities won't allow a cross connection of any kind. Most will allow a double check or RPZ on the city to prevent any well water from going into their system.

Rossn

Reaction score
Thanks, valveman. I thought physical separation and cutover was required by code, and can check with local authorities as to what they allow. Any idea what section of the IPC may deal with this? I'm not sure where to start looking for this one.

Rossn

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Here it seems to be governed at the state level by the department of health and environment. I spoke them, and they presented these options to be compliant:

- RPZ with annual inspection
- Air Gap
- Physical spools for manual cutover, that the water authority keeps in their hands

If I understand correctly, the RPZ isn't an indoor option due to flood hazard (and I don't have a heated exterior location. Having the water authority keep some part of the physical cutover not only doesn't make sense, but won't ever be available in case of emergency. Is there a practical air gap solution that can work?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not very familiar with RPZ double check valve assemblies, but from the manual for the Watts LF009:

"For indoor installations, it is important that the assembly be easily accessible to facilitate testing and servicing. If it is located in a line close to a wall, be sure the test cocks are easily accessible. A drain line and air gap (see literature ES-AG/EL/TC) should be piped from the relief valve connection as shown, where evidence of discharge will be clearly visible and so that water damage will not occur."

So it seems like you could install one inside in utility room if proper arrangements for drainage are made.

Cheers, Wayne

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have installed RPZ's inside well houses with a big drain in the floor. But they do make a mess. I see them just sitting outside in southern states. I see little insulated boxes over them in the mid states. But they will freeze if you don't keep them warm.

I used to do the irrigation wells for Texas Tech and they had cross connections for using city water when the wells where out. They had one flexible hose with a quick connector in a pit. The hose could be quick connected to the well or the city, but not both at the same time. The hose was permanently connected to the irrigation side and was either attached to the city valve or one coming from the well pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks