Customer watching you do job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
never bothered me, but they never tried to tell me how to do the job, either.

I got used to that working on bicycles for eight years before getting into plumbing. The only ones that I wouldn't allow to watch were the ones with the most expensive bikes. I had some tricks that worked, but I didn't have time to explain why they worked to them.

When customers watch, I mainly hear stuff like,

"How do you do that?"

"You make that look so easy."

"Your're doing that with your left hand."

"I tried pliers on that and you removed it with your fingers?"

terry-1996-tank-top-01.jpg

1996 when I was still carrying cast iron tubs up stairs.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mostly the customers dont bother me watching . Its usually directly related to my confidence level at what im doing.
Ive gotten to the point that I kringe of carrying a castiron tub . Didnt think much about it in the 90s either. But there is no way for me to concider a Castiron tub solo doing anything with it. Had 3 toilets friday remove and replace went great 2 story house! but I broke them down and carried new ones up in pieces.

JerryR

Reaction score
It never bothered me being watched when I worked as a field tech servicing high end equipment. The only time it bothered me was when I was troubleshooting a difficult problem as I had to concentrate. Being asked questions while troubleshooting was distracting.

Now I find myself as the watcher. I watched the AC guys install and troubleshoot. When troubleshooting I walk away so as not to distract them.

I recently enjoyed watching an old crusty plumber install my water heater because due to medical issues I could not do it. . He had a “trick” he used to unclog the drain valve. The way he manhandled the heater in place in the small closet was impressive.

I also enjoyed watching the well system guys redo all the water softener, aerator and pump configuration in the shed of my vacation cabin. Then he rebuilt the Softener head and explained eveything while he was working. I learned a lot. He didn’t seem to mind and I generously tipped him and his son. It’s nice to watch a knowledgeable professional work.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
customers who are engineers or lawyers watching me make me annoyed or nervous. But in general I don't mind. It just depends on the work you're doing and the level of involvement they want. And as long as its T&M work, they can sit and talk as long as they want.

My customer on friday was the sweetest old lady and I think she hadn't had much social interaction and spent the entire 3hrs chatting and interested in watching me fix her Neorest. She was aghast when I put a huge wad of toilet paper in to test the function!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I honestly like it.

Especially when I snake out a drain and they say that looks easy

Within 2 years I usually get a call to help the snake is stuck or they broke it in the drain or they twisted their wrist /cut themselves after renting a cable machine

One guy saw me use a closet auger on a toilet stoppage and then removed the overflow from a bathtub and actually had the cable stuck

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I never minded customers watching as long as they didn't get in my way or talk to me.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
This is not limited to plumbers, but I've found most people like being watched when they're doing an awesome job, and less so when they're gonna take a shortcut they know the customer wouldn't like. Sure there's times when you just want to be left alone to focus and get the job done, but if it's a good job, don't you want to show the customer how nice you did it? When it's a crap job, people just want it sheetrocked over as quick as possible.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
If I was to hire a plumber, it would be because the job is outside of my comfort zone; I would watch to lean something. I generally check up on any trades I hire to make sure they are doing things correctly / as discussed ... this has saved my ass a few times. There are good and bad people in every professions, doesn't matter if they are a doctors or a ditch diggers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks