Custom external shower arm

Users who are viewing this thread

Webdood90

Reaction score
Hi all,

Attached picture shows my problem. Remodeling my bathroom and this is where I currently have my shower going. I don't think this is going to fly because it's an external wall (this is 45*, roof is on the other side) and there is not enough space for insulation.

Instead, I'm trying to figure out how to fabricate a shower arm that essentially would do the same thing on top of the tile. There is a false wall below this that is built on top of the exterior wall. I'd exit that wall before the ceiling bends at a 45*, make the shower arm follow the wall up and that come down vertically for the shower head.

Pre-made showers won't work for this quirky situation, so I'm trying to find custom fabricators or info on how I'd do this myself.

Questions:
- anyone know who makes something like this?
- if I make it, would it be from stainless steel? If so, how would I attach it to the plumbing in the wall? I'm imagining I'd bend some pipes and have them threaded on the ends, but does that attach to the plumbing? Drop ear in the wall, but how would I be able to turn the pipe into the threads?

Thanks for your help.

2.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The drop ear is standard 1/2" threading, and so are shower heads.
They make shower arms with a slight bend to them, and some with a 90 bend. They also make one that has two pivots to get any angle you want.

delta-ua902-pk-01.jpg

If you don't want the water freezing in the wall, an option would be to have a diverter tub spout placed low. The way that would work is that the entire line up to the shower head would drain down after use.
To push water up to the shower head, you would lift the diverter on the tub spout.

Now you have water in the uninsulated ceiling, but then it all drains down after your shower.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Below is a shower head in the ceiling. Insulated though, so no need for it to drain down.

khan_w_04.jpg

I thought I had a finished picture of this, I guess I forget to take it.

khan_w_09.jpg

Okay, I found it from 2015

spaces_hg_05.jpg

Here is a different job with the tub spout low.

Last edited:

Webdood90

Reaction score
Huh, that's a really interesting idea I hadn't considered. I hadn't actually thought much about the fact that it won't always have pressurized water flowing through it. I wonder if the inspector would let it pass then, considering that (even without the tub spout).

I have a long shower supply line (about 7-8ft?) and there is a shower wand on the other side. I'd be able to let the water empty down to that, at least. I'm just not sure how the inspectors interpret these things.

Maybe I'd just go into it as is and see if they'll let it fly. If not, I can add a tub spout later if they'd be happy with that.

10.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
That long horizontal run won't drain. I think I would insulate it. It looks totally possible. No reason not to.

Webdood90

Reaction score
Is that a non-code two handle shower valve?
Code requires pressure balancing or thermostatic now.
Oh, no... I didn't know this. So this thing isn't gonna fly with IPC?

That long horizontal run won't drain. I think I would insulate it. It looks totally possible. No reason not to.
Thanks, will likely hive it a shot. Sounds like I'm gonna need to redo this thing if Terry is right.

Webdood90

Reaction score
That was kind of dumb of me to post - of course Terry was right.

I actually ordered a new PB valve and diverter the day he posted this so I can switch this out. Hopefully I don't need to make any super drastic changes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks