Curved cast iron stack fitting - how to replicate with 4" ABS fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

chimmer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
First post.
I would like to replace the above ground portion of my cast iron stack since there is a "pinhole" leak. However, the stack curves inward in the crawl space to clear the stone foundation with a curved fitting and I would like to make sure that I don't introduce any issues when replacing this with ABS fittings. Should I use 2 45 degree fittings after the pipe enters the floor with a short length of pipe in between on an angle to get to the cast iron in the dirt?
I have attached pictures of the existing stack going from 3" ABS to cast iron in the wall and the curved cast iron fitting in question.
I am assuming I should be using 4"ABS rather than 3" ABS to replace the 4" cast iron. Could someone please confirm?
If I cut open the stack and find that there is significant internal corrosion in the cast iron under the dirt, are there any solutions (like a sleeve or epoxy or something) to look into that don't involve digging up the whole cast iron pipe underneath the foundation?
Thank you!

Attachments

• stackcurvedfitting.jpg
    stackcurvedfitting.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 450
  • castirontransition.jpg
    castirontransition.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 366
  • roughsketch.jpg
    roughsketch.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 299

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is an "offset" fitting, possibly 6". You can do whatever you have room for to replicate it. Maybe 1/6 bends if you do not have a lot of height available.

chimmer

Reaction score
It is an "offset" fitting, possibly 6". You can do whatever you have room for to replicate it. Maybe 1/6 bends if you do not have a lot of height available.
Thank you for your help.
Should I be replacing it with 4" ABS pipe and fittings or 3" ABS pipe and fittings?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks