Current through flexible gas line

Users who are viewing this thread

CrosseyedCricket

Reaction score
I am finishing up my home build and am installing a 9.5 gpm rheem tankless water heater. I did all of the plumbing and electrical in the home with the exception of the main LP lines. The plumber that ran the lines used flexible gas line called trac-pipe. From the little I know about gas lines is that they should be grounded? I have not grounded this line yet but intend to do so. What has me concerned is the fact that I got a little jolt when I grabbed the yellow flex line on the water heater and the iron gas line running up from main flex line. The water heater is not plugged in. Where could I be picking up a current on my LP line and is grounding the only precaution I need to take? I didn't notice the current while hooking up the range or gas dryer. Thanks for any input.

Bannerman

Reaction score
You could disconnect the Tracpipe from the steel gas pipe and use a voltmeter to measure for voltage between the steel pipe and the plugged-in grounded WH. Assuming voltage is measured, shut off the main electrical breaker and measure again. If there is then no voltage, turn the main breaker back on and turn off one breaker at a time starting with breakers for other gas appliances to determine which circuit is supplying voltage to the gas piping.

You didn't mention a furnace or central air conditioning but if there is forced air ductwork, look for a location where electrical wiring has passed through the metal air duct where the cable may have been sliced by the sheet metal. Also inspect where gas piping and ductwork supports are located as there may be a nail or screw that has penetrated an electrical cable.

The steel gas piping would be best grounded on the same grounding rod as the home's electrical panel. This will ensure the home's steel gas piping is not only grounded, but the same grounding point will also ensure there can be no difference in electrical potential between the steel gas piping and gas appliances that are grounded through their electrical feeds.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Like Bannerman wrote disconnect track pipe (there are two clips that make the connection) with gloves measure voltage from track pipe to ground and meter side to ground. Does track pipe run exposed?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks