Curious Boiler Operation

Users who are viewing this thread

Cmancuso

Reaction score
TLDR: weird boiler issue, looking for insight. Sorry for the long winded explanation.

Posting here before I call a technician to check out my home boiler. Any insights would be cool.

I have baseboard heat on a Burnham boiler with Honeywell controls.

I have 4 zones. Up, Up2, down, garage.

I first noticed an issue I the garage when the thermostat is calling for heat but I'm intermittently getting enough heat in the pipes to even turn on the aquastat. So I checked out the zone valve and it operates as it should. I also adjusted the aquastat to make sure it was operating correctly and its also good.

Then my downstairs tenants were complaining about heat so I go down and check it out. Boiler is running, all zones calling for heat are open and running. I thought it was an issue with the fact that every zone in the house was calling for heat and the boiler was just having a tough time.

Now, the part where it gets weird. Downstairs complained about heat again and so I checked it out one more time. Garage was calling for heat and downstairs was calling for heat and all other zones were not. All the pipes were room temp so nothing was flowing even though two zones were calling for it. Boiler wasn't running, in fact, it read 108deg on the guage. So I am sitting there hitting the reset button on the boiler thinking it needs a restart but nothings happening. So I killed power to the boiler and tried the reset button again. Nothing. Finally I had a hunch that the zones calling for heat weren't actually communicating to the boiler correctly, so I turned one thermostat upstairs up to 80 to force a response from that zone, lo and behold, click, the zone valve opens, a click from the Honeywell controller on the boiler, then the boiler fires and the zones calling for heat start getting it.

So my best guess not knowing much about boilers and hydronic systems is that the garage and downstairs thermostats aren't communicating correctly with the boiler when they're calling for heat. Maybe a wieing issue? Again, any insights would be great. Still calling a tech tomorrow though.

Thanks for reading!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You never mentioned anything about your pump. I assume it's running fine? If so then your controls/ wiring has an issue. Possibly the controller itself.

Cmancuso

Reaction score
You never mentioned anything about your pump. I assume it's running fine? If so then your controls/ wiring has an issue. Possibly the controller itself.

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah my pump is working correctly. I just don't know enough about the controls to troubleshoot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks