Cultured marble vs Cast iron vs Americast

Users who are viewing this thread

pbabin

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a new traditional non-jetted tub for a bathroom remodel... I'm replacing a 40+ year old cast iron tub. What's the pros and cons of: cultured marble vs cast iron vs americast? This question is in regard to: cost, surface durability, easy of care, and comfort. To me, it always seems worth spending the extra dollars today to avoid a major disapointment in 5 or so years. Thanks for any advice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

It would not be cultured marble in most cases, but if it were, they usually have sharp corners where surfaces meet and are uncomfortable when used as a tub. Acrylic and fiberglass tubs are the easiest to transport and install, but the surface longevity is fairly short.

SLB

Reaction score
For what it's worth, we just installed an Americast tub in our guest bath and it seems fairly durable. It has a much better "feel" to it than a plain steel tub and it's also relatively light and easy to handle. Cast iron is probably the best, but they're HEAVY and are difficult to maneuver into place for a three wall installation.

-Steve

dm_seafoam.jpg

Designers Marble in Woodinville

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks