cullingan iron cleer constantly draining

Users who are viewing this thread

boostnut

Reaction score
So I've got a Culligan iron cleer system that is about 10 years old. I've only owned the house for about a year and a half and it has been trouble free (so far). I recently noticed my sump pump, which the system drains into, is running regularly. The cause for this is the drain line for the iron cleer system, its drain line is now trickling a small stream of water. This is a recent issue, I would have noticed the sump pump running regularly. Now, 2 questions.
1)Is this a repair a homeowner can handle without calling Culligan? FYI, I'm very mechanically inclined & would tackle it without hesitation if I had an assembly diagram to refer to.
2)After repair, can this systems drain line be routed to a higher point (instead of a sump pump)? I have another option that would require a connection at about 7' high or 3' higher than the systems head. I'm not particularly fond of the drain in the sump pump, there is a significant build up of deposits on the pump and in the pit which I believe are from this system.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The water to drain is most likely the sign that the main piston and its seal pack are in need of an overhaul.
The system will need to be in bypass and a cycle started to let the pressure off..
Now some say replace the whole assembly and you might need to do that, but if the is no leaking out the front around the shaft and the piston is good with no marks the seals in the seal cage could be moved around so that the bad ones are at the ends and the good ones are in the middle

If how ever you would like to go and get a rebuild kit, Culligan 10106267
They can range in price from 55.00 to 125 depending where you can find one, one place to start would be E.......B.........A.........Y
some times there are new kits there and some used culligan items as well.

redoing the drain line after fixing the system... but it might be , depending on where a drain is at and how high it would be from the system.

boostnut

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I've searched around for Cullingan parts with no luck, not even e.b.a.y. Any suggestions on where to buy online? Also, I've had no luck finding a parts diagram for this unit & hate the idea of going in blind. Any ideas?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks