Culligan Water Softener Keeps Losing Suction

Users who are viewing this thread

mrmoosey

Reaction score
I have a Culligan Medallist water softener that the brine draw keeps losing suction every couple of weeks. I have to keep taking the Venturi Assembly apart, making sure the little hole in the eductor isn't clogged (which it's not), reassemble, run a regen and problem solved-suction starts to remove brine from the brine tank. Works for 1-2 weeks then the brine tank fills up with water again because the brine draw suction stops working during regen. When I remove the silver plate covering the Venturi Assembly there is water in the hole where the eductor sits. See attached pic. Not sure if this is the problem? I thought it should be dry in this chamber? Everything else I have checked seems fine. Here is what I have checked (numerous times).
1) drain line is not clogged, rubber gasket is clean
2) brine line is not clogged or kinked, but in brine draw cycle during regen when suction is not working, there is water coming out of the brine line into the brine tank.
3) no salt bridges
4) float assembly clean and working properly

Can anyone tell me what the problem could be?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6981.jpg
    IMG_6981.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 149

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know that valve, and I would not be able to find a service manual.

I think that having water behind that metal plate would be normal.

I would suspect a seal and/or piston problem.

smith288

Reaction score
I have a Culligan Medallist water softener that the brine draw keeps losing suction every couple of weeks. I have to keep taking the Venturi Assembly apart, making sure the little hole in the eductor isn't clogged (which it's not), reassemble, run a regen and problem solved-suction starts to remove brine from the brine tank. Works for 1-2 weeks then the brine tank fills up with water again because the brine draw suction stops working during regen. When I remove the silver plate covering the Venturi Assembly there is water in the hole where the eductor sits. See attached pic. Not sure if this is the problem? I thought it should be dry in this chamber? Everything else I have checked seems fine. Here is what I have checked (numerous times).
1) drain line is not clogged, rubber gasket is clean
2) brine line is not clogged or kinked, but in brine draw cycle during regen when suction is not working, there is water coming out of the brine line into the brine tank.
3) no salt bridges
4) float assembly clean and working properly

Can anyone tell me what the problem could be?
Thanks!
I found resin media in the Venturi Assembly. That's a bad thing, yes?

Reach4

Reaction score
I found resin media in the Venturi Assembly. That's a bad thing, yes?
It is a good thing that you found it, but the condition is bad. ;-) Many softeners have a screen in the feed to the injector-- not that resin should have gotten there. Maybe the bottom basket (distributor screen) is bad.

smith288

Reaction score
It is a good thing that you found it, but the condition is bad. ;-) Many softeners have a screen in the feed to the injector-- not that resin should have gotten there. Maybe the bottom basket (distributor screen) is bad.
I've got a feeling i just need to disassemble the entire thing and see what I have got going.

So the timeline was: Water started to feel gross. Checked salt...kind of low...meh, buy some more. Got some JJ Giveaway salt that looked like freaking rock salt for icy conditions though I live in FL so it wasnt that.

I feel like that wasnt the issue but maybe something got into the system and damaged the internals. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

smith288

Reaction score
I took the entire softener resin tank off and discovered the "Culligan Medallist Series Fine Slot Inlet Manifold" was damaged and allowing resin to pass through it. Does anyone know if this is a orderable part?

Attachments

• PNG image.png
    PNG image.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 139

Reach4

Reaction score
does that go at the bottom? It is often called bottom basket or bottom distributor basket or bottom distributor. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/yet-another-sizing-option-question.45409/#post-329419

The function is pretty generic. Quality varies. Knowing the OD of the distributor tube is important. 1.05OD is one of the possible sizes. That matches up with 3/4 PVC pipe. There are larger ODs. A smaller ID is rare now. 1.315 (1 inch PVC) and 32mm are other sizes that are getting more popular. There are adapters available.

Is your bottom basket glued on? You might be replacing the distributor tube too.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks