Culligan system

Users who are viewing this thread

MPGI

Reaction score
Greetings from the beautiful Emerald Coast.
The previous owner of our home installed a Culligan water softener system and it performs its tasks as expected. If I bypass the Culligan, we have slightly Sulphur smelling water and sort of an odd taste from the county water system. I keep delicate tropical fish species, tested the water and then called the water company to verify my testing. They confirmed my tests and said the tap water is actually soft from the ground.
The previous owner indicated the Culligan was installed to protect the copper pipes which run throughout the home's foundation.
My questions are:
Would not a simple activated carbon filter suffice for removing the Sulphur smell and odd taste?
And, if I keep the Culligan, how often does the cylinder need to be replaced. I realize that depends on use but a ballpark estimate will help.
Many thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
A system there to protect copper pipes would raise the pH, implying that the water was acidic. Or maybe the previous owner was mistaken.

Sulfur smell on chlorinated water is often produced in your water heater. I presume your water from the water company is chlorinated, but maybe you should test for residual chlorine.

Culligan is a brand mainly of a water treatment service that includes equipment. Not all Culligan things are similar.

MPGI

Reaction score
A system there to protect copper pipes would raise the pH, implying that the water was acidic. Or maybe the previous owner was mistaken.

Sulfur smell on chlorinated water is often produced in your water heater. I presume your water from the water company is chlorinated, but maybe you should test for residual chlorine.

Culligan is a brand mainly of a water treatment service that includes equipment. Not all Culligan things are similar.

I thought of the water heaters but they are both new. I then drew a sample of water 'upstream' of the water heaters and it very slightly stinks like Sulphur but the taste isn't all that great. Only after it passes through the Culligan does the Sulphur odor vanish. The taste is also greatly improved. I thought of just putting on an activated charcoal filter but that won't deliver the end result needed. While the water from the main is relatively soft, it isn't 'silky soft' (as the female members of the household say) until it passes through the Culligan. I am wondering, roughly, how often does the Culligan cylinder need replacement?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks