Culligan Mark 812 Water Conditioner - Time to replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
That pinhole in the injector may be a partial blockage. Did you find and clean the injector throat under the injector, how about the injector screen?

Put it in the bring cycle and take off the brine line for then take or control valve and put your thumb on the end of the tubing and see if you have good ssuction. If not you have to find the cause.

www.kenmorewater.com to see how a softener works.

TwLloyd

Reaction score
Gary,

I could not figure out how to get the throat out. I didn't want to pry or pull too much, there was no obvious way for it to come out easily. I did not pierce the pinhole with anything, thinking now maybe I should but I figured if I could see light through it, it couldn't be that bad...

The injector screen: Well... er um, well, it was a casualty a long time ago, when this problem first started and I got the nerve up to start tearing into it. I pulled it out and it basically fell apart in my fingers, so in my vast experience during my maiden voyage into tearing the thing apart, I determined it wasn't needed afterall.

I don't know how to put it in a brine cycle. Its electronically controlled the only control button is Regenerate and the computer takes over. To the best of my knowledge, there is no idication of which cycle it might be in.

If I push Renerate and sit there and watch it, about how long/which cycle would the brine cycle be?

Thanks again!
Tom

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Yeah the screen is needed.........

The link to the manual I posted for you should tell you how to step from one cycle position to another during regeneration.

Regeneration will take what it takes, if you learn how to step it, it takes maybe 10 minutes and you're done.

There should be screw driver notches/slots in the edge of the throat.

TwLloyd

Reaction score
Progress

Gary,

I took out the injector, cleaned the pinhole with a tooth pick, didn't get much of anything out. I then stuck the tooth pick in the throat, got just enough resistance to notice there was resistance, then suddenly the tooth pick went freely. I worked it up and down a few times and started the regeneration cycle. After about 30 minutes, I checked the brine tube and there was suction, so I put it back together and checked the brine tank was empty of water, so apparently it appears to be sucking brine now.

I let it finish its regeneration and ran the water for a few mintutes at the kitchen tap. It feels softer when I wash my hands, but now it smells funky, almost a sulfur/rotten egg smell. I will regenerate it again and see what happens in the morning.

Thanks again for all your help, it looks like we are on the way to soft (but funky smelling) water!!! With any luck, the smell will clear up by morning.

Tom

TwLloyd

Reaction score
Yep!! That took care of most of the smell.

I will do a regular regeneration, then an Iron Out regeneration, then a regular regeneration and maybe another bleach regeneration if it still seems funky. I'm sure the resin isn't fully cleaned after all that time. It has been a couple months since all this started, hopefully the resin isn't bad from it.

The shower seemed better, but not much of a slick feeling this morning. The water looks clearer in the toilets so I imagine it will just take a bit. I understand the water heater still has plenty of hard water but with a family of 5 that should be gone soon.

Thanks again for your time, patience and suggestions!!!

Tom

TwLloyd

Reaction score
Any suggestions to speeding along the process in the water heater? Or will the soft water break it down in a reasonable amount of time? (My wife is REALLY concerned over the rust in her hair) Its only about 4 years old, I hate to think about replacing it already.

I've heard you're supposed to flush your water heater every 6 months if you have hard water, but I've never done it and most water heaters I've had experience with tend to last around 20 years.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
It will take as long as it takes but maybe just a few days. Tell'er I said she needs to find some 'patience', and to tell you how good a job we've done, before something causes it to take longer. lol

Nope, hard water scale can not be drained or flushed out of any type heater because it is stuck fast to the inside and it is as hard as rock. In electric heaters, it can break off the elements as little half circle pieces, but most can't be flushed out either.

TwLloyd

Reaction score
oh well, I guess I've hit a dead end... hopefully it will get better over time. I will tell my wife what you said ;)

Thanks again for all your help, it wasn't easy, but you saved me a couple thousand dollars, that's for sure!!!!!

Have a great weekend.
Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks