Culligan / Bleach

Users who are viewing this thread

jamepc

Reaction score
Hello,
We moved into a house that has a Kinetico softener and a Culligan bleach system., we were told to put a new bleach bottle once a month and the previous owner didn't eve know why!
My question is, what's the purpose of the bleach and what exactly does it disinfect? It only goes into the culligan so I'm just not sure how it affects the rest of the plumbing / system.
Thanks for shedding any light on this.
Jamie

Reach4

Reaction score
Hello,
We moved into a house that has a Kinetico softener and a Culligan bleach system., we were told to put a new bleach bottle once a month and the previous owner didn't eve know why!
My question is, what's the purpose of the bleach and what exactly does it disinfect? It only goes into the culligan so I'm just not sure how it affects the rest of the plumbing / system.
Thanks for shedding any light on this.
Jamie
I have a non-Culligan system, but yours may work similarly. I add a gallon of bleach, and top up the 15-gallon tank with water every 33 days. Maybe your system adds water on its own.

The bleach may to be to oxidize any ferrous iron or H2S that has been picked up and held in the media. It may keep bacteria from growing also. I am not sure how the magic works.

My system works very well for me to remove H2S and iron and more.

jamepc

Reaction score
Mine is just a standard Culligan but instead of the line going into a brine tank, it goes into a bleach bottle. This setup is installed before the Kinetico softener and brine tank.
So when the Culligan sucks up the bleach, I assume it's to treat the media that's in the culligan tank. I wonder if it's a special kind of media for iron removal that needs to be bleached once a month.

Reach4

Reaction score
Mine is just a standard Culligan but instead of the line going into a brine tank, it goes into a bleach bottle. This setup is installed before the Kinetico softener and brine tank.
So when the Culligan sucks up the bleach, I assume it's to treat the media that's in the culligan tank. I wonder if it's a special kind of media for iron removal that needs to be bleached once a month.
In mine, it pulls part of the solution every 3 days, and the solution tank is empty after 33 days.

Does your bleach bottle get emptied all at once?

jamepc

Reaction score
I know it doesn't last a month, perhaps after a week its empty, but I'd have to observe it more closely to be sure.
Do you have a regular softener installed downstream of the bleach system too?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a regular softener installed downstream of the bleach system too?
Yes.

The bleach solution is only used during regeneration every 3 days, and it gets rinsed out before the filter comes out of bypass.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks