1. Grunt

Grunt Member

Retired military, retired plumber, still fishing
    Am using a csv on my shallow well jet pump. Prior to using csv I had a large bladder tank & was able to check how many gpm my pump was producing by timing pump on & off etc. Now with the csv & very small bladder tank do I just collect water from outside hose bibb (that does not run thru filter tank) for 1 minute & measure the water collected during that 1 minute ?
    V / R Grunt

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You can fill a 5 gallon bucket, and time how long that takes. If it takes T seconds, then the gpm is T/12.

However the outside spigot and the piping may restrict you. So maybe fill two buckets simultaneously. One at another spigot or maybe at the laundry tub or whatever. Run both simultaneously, and add the two gpm numbers.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 4:33 PM
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Grunt

Grunt Member

Makes sense, but what is the T/12, T represents seconds but why the 12 ?

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

60 (seconds/minute) / 5 gallons = 12 seconds/gallon/minute
    Whoops. I must have zoned out. What VAWellDriller said.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 4:40 PM
  6. Grunt

Grunt Member

Thanx
    V/R Grunt

7. VAWellDriller

VAWellDriller Active Member

Mud rotary well driller, pump installer
    The right formula is 300 / (seconds to fill 5 bucket)....gives you gallons per minute.

I dont know what you word want seconds/gallon/minute for.

Reach4 likes this.
  8. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Just open enough faucets to keep the pressure 20 PSI lower than the CSV setting. At low pressure the CSV is just a piece of pipe and what you measure from all the faucets will be the amount the pump can produce.

9. Grunt

Grunt Member

Sorry I didn't get back here sooner but when I had read reach4's comment about being zoned sounded like a good idea so I got zoned also.
    The reason I need to know the gpm is am going with a larger mineral tank and probably a fleck 5810.
    V/R Grunt