CSV not good in NW indiana?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmgolob

Reaction score
My well pump is failing and based on all I read here, I was considering a CVS system. My well contractor says that there are very few in NW Indiana and they have problems. Particularly with plugging. Our water is pretty "dirty" and high in iron.
Any confirmation / denial of this?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The CSV125 needs clean water and is not designed for dirt or iron. Even so some installers still install the CSV125 with iron and/or dirt. When the CSV125 becomes clogged with iron, they just say CSV's are bad instead of figuring out they just used the wrong CSV for the job. Some even install a CSV in an application they know is not good, that way they can say "see I told you those CSV's are no good". Some just don't want to learn anything new. Other just don't want you to have something that saves you so much money, as that takes money out of their pocket.

We make several different CSV's for this reason as well as others. The CSV1A is designed to handle dirt and iron. Iron and dirt doesn't hurt the CSV1A anymore than it will hurt the pump, check valve, pressure switch nipple, etc. And if the CSV1A becomes clogged with iron like a check valve does, it can easily be taken apart and cleaned.

There are also ways of cleaning up the iron in the well so the pump, check valve, CSV. etc., doesn't have to deal with it at all. I have had many customers who tell me the Sulfur Eliminator works very well for this.

Reach4

Reaction score
FYI, PK1A PSIDE-KICK Kit includes CSV1A.

Rmgolob

Reaction score
Thanks valveman and Reach4.
New pump is in and I will call CSV, Inc about a likely PSIDE-KICK install.

Rmgolob

Reaction score
Installed a Myers 1.5 HP, 2 wire, 20 GPM.
Replaced a Grundfos 3/4 HP, 10 GPM.
Possibly overkill, but 5 bath house and as a friend tells me "Go big or go home!"
Pump hanging from 60 ft PVC and water level is about 10-12 feet over that.

Just spoke with valveman and ordered PK1A with 10 gallon pressure tank.

Thank you both for the help.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
That was absolutely the worst advice a friend could give. You'll probably not get nearly as long life from this next pump. A 3/4 hp was the right choice.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 20 GPM, 1.5HP maybe overkill, but with a CSV it will work fine down to 1 GPM without hurting anything. I have a 25 GPM, 2HP at my house. I could run 5-6 houses from a pump that size, but with a CSV it works fine for just one shower and the pump will last a long time as mine has. One of the good things about a CSV is that you can install as large a pump as you think you need, and the CSV will make it work like a small pump when that is all the water you are using.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks