CSV behavior when dripping faucetts

Users who are viewing this thread

Osage Hills Craig

Reaction score
I've recently rebuilt my pump house. I get my water from a rural coop, but I have to boost it since the main is approximately 100' below my house. It consists of:
  • 300 Gallon buried cistern (plastic), that provides a buffer in case the main pressure drops. The pump house sits approximately 50' above the main (50' below the house).
  • 10 GPM Goulds submersible pump situated inside cistern.
  • Cycle Stop Valve to keep pump from cycling.
  • 14 Gallon bladder tank.
  • 60 - 80 PSI pressure switch. CSV, bladder tank, and pressure switch set to switch off at 76 PSI (on at 56).
  • Dry pump situation protected by Cycle Sensor.
Everything seems to be working great.

My question is: How does CSV function in the case that a faucet is left dripping in sub-zero temperatures? Will a small flow such as this keep the pump running indefinitely (and is that bad).

Reach4

Reaction score
No. The pump will only keep running if there is more than about 1 gpm being used.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You don't mention what model of CSV, but I suspect you have one that passes a minimum 1 GPM which is less than what would keep the pump running. Running the pump constantly is not bad for the pump.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Your 14 gallon pressure tank will hold approx 3.5-gallons water (drawdown) between 56-76 psi (why didn't you leave the setting at 60-80?). Once the pump is shut off at 76 psi, the pump will be again activated when 3.5-gallons drips out to cause the system pressure to drop to 56 psi.

Assuming your CSV is calibrated to deliver 66 psi (midway between 56 & 76), once the pump is activated at 56 psi, the tank will refill at whatever rate the pump can deliver, then when approx 1/2 full at 66 psi, the CSV will restrict the flow from the pump to 1 GPM to continue to fill the remaining 1.75 gallons (=1.75 minutes) whereby the pump will be shutoff once 76 psi is acheived.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
then when approx 1/2 full at 66 psi, the CSV will restrict the flow from the pump to 1 GPM to continue to fill the remaining 1.75 gallons (=1.75 minutes) whereby the pump will be shutoff once 76 psi is acheived.
Close, but to be precise, if the faucet drips at 1/2 GPM, it will double the time it takes to fill the last half the tank.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I wish everyone understood it as well as you guys. Yes 1/2 GPM leaking will take 7 minutes to drain the tank and about 3.5 minutes to refill the tank. 1/4 GPM leaking would take 14 minutes to drain the tank and 7 minutes to refill the tank. You should remember that when dripping from a faucet the water will be continually flowing from the tank to the faucet. But the water from the pump to the tank will only be moving when the pump is running to refill the tank. If the line from the pump to the tank can freeze in the 7 or 14 minutes during the time the pump is off, it would be better to leak 1 GPM so the pump never shuts off. Running continuously would also be best for the pump.

Also remember that 1 GPM leaking from a faucet is putting 1440 gallons per day in your septic system. Best to let a faucet drip that does not drain to the septic system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks