Crown water softeners

Users who are viewing this thread

gordon 34

Reaction score
Good afternoon. I am posting from the UK so readers abroad may not be familiar with the name Crown water softeners. However they are derived from, and therefore very similar to, Kinetico softeners. They are twin cylinder with no requirement for an electricity supply of course. My softener is about 4 years old and is sited in a cupboard under the kitchen sink.
I have a problem which commenced fairly recently. I find that when I draw a smallish quantity of softened water, say, for example, I flush a toilet, the softener seems to go into re-generation mode. However, it only keeps it up only for about 30 seconds or so and then it stops. Normally, a proper re-generation runs for about 15 or 20 minutes but quite infrequently as we are a two person household with fairly low water usage. Clearly, even if it is still providing softened water, it is wasting water each time it does a mini re-generation.
All I can think of doing is to get it out of the cupboard in order to do a manual regeneration to see if this kicks the mechanism into its correct position. However it is a weighty object and not easy to move when coupled to the water/waste pipes, so I would have to undo the flexible connections, move the softener and then reconnect it.
Has anyone knowledge of what may have gone wrong and could say if it is a repair job that needs some special bits and expertise to repair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks