crooked tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

tubandbath

Reaction score
I installed a copper pipe for the tub spout. I screwed on the tub spout and there is a gap of 1/4" between the finished wall and the spout. How can I fix this? The bathroom is already finished just this is the problem.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Since there is a male adapter sweated on you will now need to cut the pipe shorten it to a 1/4" less then what you have now while taking into consideration what a coupling will add. Have fun!

tubandbath

Reaction score
There is a male adaptor on it already. You mean just to cut the pipe somewhere in the middle shorten it by 1/4" add a coupling and that's it.
Cant I just bend it someway?

the tub spout goes in and out. Never tightened it behind the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

If we knew how the spout attached we might have a solution, but since there are several ways it could be done, and sometimes the solution is a different spout, we cannot tell you.

tubandbath

Reaction score
the spout is screwed in. its an american standard spout (symphony). It screws in about 1/2". The rest is soldered. Is that what you mean when you asked how it is attached?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, the copper pipe with the male adapter on the end of it.
You would unsolder the adapter, cut off 1/4", then sweat a new one on.

tubandbath

Reaction score
I appreciate the help. I understand to cut off 1/4", but there is a gap between the wall and the spout ONLY on one side. So, I would think cutting it won't help, there will still be a gap.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ahhhh...

Depending on how it is connected to the valve...

If it is connected with a threaded adapter you could tweak it square...

If it's sweated you will need access into the wall to get in there with a torch...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Bending it probably isn't a good idea. Can you get to it from the back side? If that's an outside wall, it gets messier.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I was not saying to bend it!
I was saying if it was attached to the valve via a threaded connection that turning the connection to square it would be appropriate.

If its a sweat connection then its a torch job...

tubandbath

Reaction score
This can only be a sweat job. The wall is finished, and I have no access to a back wall.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
The tub spout as its being tightened can pull the pipe a bit. Only a bit! If that's all you need then best of luck. If it has to be perfect then they make escutions that will cover any access you need to get in behind with a torch and tweak it straight. If it comes to that come back for more advice on how to tweak an already sweated pipe straight.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What's on the other side of the wall? A closet, another room, the outside? If you can cut an access hole there, patching is much eaiser than messing with the tile. The alternative is make the hole through the tile bigger so you can work through there, then use a decorative plate, or retile it. Or, live with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks