crooked PVC toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Hdmstng

Reaction score
I've been remodeling a bathroom and went to install the PVC toilet flange on and it set crooked! The right side is a hair off the tile but the left side is ~1/4 inch up off the floor. If I screw it down, the right side should be tight with the floor, but no way for the left side, still about 1/4" high. It is a PVC flange with a stainless steel ring that fits over a 3" PVC pipe. The 3" PVC pipe first into a 90 degree elbow.

Can I shim the right side of the flange with plastic shims? Will a normal wax ring work? Then also use the shims when I install the toilet?

Aren't there cutters designed to save the ID of the elbow and I can just cut out the entire thing and replace?

Any suggestion on how to proceed?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1/4" should be well within the parameters for setting the toilet. But if you screw the high side down you will probably find that it DOES pull down even with the floor.

Hdmstng

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response HJ. It will go down slightly, but I'm worried about the stress it will put on the rest of the pipes. Or will the stainless steel ring bend a bit? If not, I guess some shims under the stainless steel ring and for the toilet once it has been set to prevent rocking might do the trick.

Hdmstng

Reaction score
You were right on target HJ! The stainless steel ring conformed much more than the PVC being pushed down and no shims were needed. I do realize what went wrong and why the piece went on crooked in the first place. The drain line had a bit of play in it, so when I went to cement the flange on, the entire assembly flexed not allowing it to set fully. In hindsight, some blocking underneath the elbow or strapping was needed. Hopefully others will learn from my mistakes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks