Crooked plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

klwier

Reaction score
I'm in the process of remodeling a bathroom. As a result I've been reading a lot here & on the JB tile forum. After removing the old tile and 2 layers of moldy drywall I noticied that my plumbing is not plumb. The whole assembly leans to the left. The overflow on the tub is about 15" from the studs, the tub spout about 14 1/4", the diverter 14" and the shower arm 13". This isn't the shower I use, so I never noticed it. Also the old tiles were 4 x 4 white ceramic, the new tiles are 10 x 13, so I think it will be more noticeable that they are out of line.
Is there anything I can do to "straighen" it out? Is it really an issue or is it just me?
All the pipes are copper. I could take a picture and add that if it would help.
Any input will be appreciated!

Kathie

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A picture would help us to see what you have...
It sounds like you have a pretty old bath that you have ripped into pretty far. Your old fixture is probably not pressure balanced and I would recommend upgrading as part of the process...

klwier

Reaction score
Actually the faucet & shower were replaced about 10-11 years ago. What's installed is PP 808, Savannah. I think it may have been a bad install. I'll try to attach the pictures. Couldn't get back far enough to get it all in one picture so don't know if you'll get the full effect. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 584
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 593

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Okay so its not a moldy oldie...
IT might be pressure balanced...
Check into that.

The installation pictured should be redone.
Using unions in concealed locations is a no-no.

klwier

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I am definitely not a plumber (though not too bad at hanging drywall & setting tile), so which in the picture are unions? The connectors on the vertical pipes? How should it have been done? Just curious...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You have 3 of them in that picture...

2 on the supplies just below the elbow, and one on the line up to the showerhead just above the valve...

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Leaning to one side or the other is a non-issue. As long as the 3 exposed points(the spout, control valve and shower arm/head) are in a straight line ,It will be fine (have an extra beer at night , and it will straighten up in no time :D lol JK)

The unions, however, are an issue. Usually a plumber would continue with a soldered coupling or joint at those points (no chance of loosening up.)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
unions

Unions in the wall are a non-issue. Conventional 2 and 3 handle valves ALL had them. Using them in your situation, however, does indicate a less than professional installer, because a professional would not have needed them, especially on the shower riser. In your case, assuming you like the old valve and its trim, just straighten the unit to line up with the tub's drain and overflow. The copper will "flex" sufficiently to do so without any stress on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks