Crooked/Angled PEX crimps

Users who are viewing this thread

Shoes

Reaction score
I may be coming up against my limit of rookie questions :) I understand that getting the crimp at a square angle is important. Here is a pic of two crimps I did that have a slight angle on them. I would like to know if this is considered square enough? Id rather not put the sheetrock up and have to worry about it later. If a small amount of angle is ok, then Im ok. If it was your house, would you be ok with slight angles like this?

I did use a Go/No-Go on these (and all crimps).

5Tls226.jpg

DaveHo

Reaction score
Maybe it's the camera angle, but the crimps don't look even. The side of the ring closer to the fitting looks more compressed than the outer part. Did it pass the go/no go over the entire width of the ring? I won't comment on the angle as my experience with PEX involves the Uponor expansion method. I hope you are planning to remove all the gray polybutylene pipe. That stuff is bad news.

Mark Olenick

I've got a good memory. It's just short ;-/
Reaction score
PEX is a very forgiving product in many aspects, somewhat imperfect crimps being one. The crimps while not perfect should be OK. I always like to pressure test if possible but sometimes ya just gotta test in production. You have good coverage on the barb so that's another plus. Make sure to lock in your tubing were possible. And agreed get rid of that gray stuff. If it has not split by now it's just a matter of time.

Shoes

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and replaced this section. I think it would have been fine - but I decided to make it bombproof for my sanity sake.

I figured out what I was doing wrong. I wasnt ensuring that the crimp tool was square all the way around the ring. I was checking to see if it was square from the handle side - but sometimes it appears square there, but the rings are askew on the opposite side of the pipe. Since I have been checking additional angles to make sure the ring is properly and fully within the crimp tool square, I havent had this happen again.

Thanks!

Shoes

Reaction score
Oh and Mark - all the PB is being replaced, that is what the project is for. Im doing the whole house re-pipe, top to bottom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks