Crimped Supply Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

DMLane

Reaction score
I hired a plumber to install two bathroom sinks and faucets. I requested metal traps and hardware since these elements are exposed and not hidden inside cabinetry. Upon inspection, I noticed that the supply lines (chrome plated copper?) were considerably crimped during installation in order to coax the line into the proper position for hookup. Two of the lines have about an 85° angle and the chrome plating is now abraded. The water flow through the tap seems strong enough, but I worry about the integrity of the supply tubes being compromised and weakened at the bend. Is this a valid concern? Should I request that the plumber return to redo this work?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

DMLane

DMLane

Reaction score
re: pipes

hj said:
Are they actually "indented" crimped, or merely a gentle curve? A sharp bend will eventually crack at that point.

Hi hj. It's a very sharp bend with a crease and a flare-out of the metal. The chrome plating is also chipping off at the site. Should I request that he install braided stainless steel risers instead? What is the best material for this component? Thanks in advance for your help, hj.

DMLane

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
supplies

The problem most people have with the braided supplies on a pedestal lav is that they are a fixed length, and so they have to be looped or twisted to use up the extra length. There are some made with a section of copper tubing that can be cut off and eliminate that problem, but they are not a normal stock item with most suppliers. He should use a tubing bender if he is going to install the chrome risers.

Last edited:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
to be honest

i question, weather the person that left this, has it in them to do a proper job! hire for attitude, train for skill, is how i work. there isn,t much of that anymore! sorry i,m rambling again. good luck

DMLane

Reaction score
re: supplies

hj said:
The problem most people have with the braided supplies on a pedestal lav is that they are a fixed length, and so they have to be looped or twisted to use up the extra length. There are some made with a section of copper tubing that can be cut off and eliminate that problem, but they are not a normal stock item with most suppliers. He should use a tubing bender if he is going to install the chrome risers.

Thanks for the explanation, hj. I'm not too keen on looping or twisting, so I'll be prepared to inquire first about length. Your replies have been a big help.

DMLane

DMLane

Reaction score
re: to be honest

toolaholic said:
i question, weather the person that left this, has it in them to do a proper job! hire for attitude, train for skill, is how i work. there isn,t much of that anymore! sorry i,m rambling again. good luck

Hi toolaholic. Yes, I question his commitment to quality at this point also. You are so right to hire for attitude, for that cannot be taught. Thanks for your reply.

DMLane

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks