Criminal Hot Water Tampering

Users who are viewing this thread

Letitflow

Reaction score
I live in an 80-unit apartment building. It's a pretty old building. Ever since I moved into my apartment, the tenant that lives in the apartment below mine has been tampering with the hot water every time I take a shower, no matter what time of day it is. She even admitted to this in a note she slipped under my door because she doesn't like me. Of note, the unit above me is vacant. I live on the 4th floor, and the psycho tenant is in the 3rd floor unit directly below mine. When I shower, the water will initially come out very hot then suddenly the water pressure decreases and I can feel the hot water getting colder. After some time of being in the shower, then the water will get back hot again with increased pressure. The same thing happens when I use the bathroom and kitchen sinks. I've reported this to my landlord numerous times but they don't care or believe what I say. They told me that no one can control the water in the building but I know that's BS. The tenant in the unit below me is definitely doing something to tamper with hot water, I just don't know exactly what that is. One of the owners of the building confirmed that the units above and below mine get hot water. Like, really hot. However, my hot water isn't maintaining its heat like it should. I've noticed that whenever any maintenence people are in my unit, the hot water suddenly gets very hot with appropriate water pressure. But as soon as they leave, the hot water temperature and pressure goes down. This is no coincidence. My main question is: what exactly can a tenant do to tamper with hot water in a building? Are there any dials, levers or faucets that they can manipulate? Please, I'm seeking professional, well-informed knowledge only. Do not respond if you don't know what you're talking about.

Reach4

Reaction score
They could turn on the hot water, which shares a supply pipe to you, to reduce the pressure to you. The hot water that they turned on would go down the drain. If there was a valve, I would think that person would have turned off the hot water at times, rather than just turning down the flow.

What did the landlord say about the note? If the note has disappeared, I would wonder if it is not your imagination. Sorry.

It would be interesting to make a recording of you showering, and play that sound intermittently when you are out.

What would it take to move to the vacant apartment on the fifth floor?

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Old buildings built as apartments were usually built with a common water system. Pipes would run apartment to apartment. The nut downstairs might have access to a mechanical room where water can be turned off to a section of the building or even individual apartments. Possibly there is an access panel inside her apartment with shut off valves.

If there is ever a time when she is not home, run the shower hot water and see what happens.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Only a shower valve not the tub, kitchen or bathroom sinks would have a temperature compensating valve. More than likely if the shower valve hasn't been replaced in 30 years doubt it has one. Volume and temperature might change some with time of day ( peak usage). The cold water side wouldn't vary the volume as much as the hot side because the hot side side pipes will have more of a mineral build up. Volume of water can be measured with a pitcher and stop watch. Temp with a thermometer.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have no proof the tenant below is tampering with anything . but sometimes running water at other fixtures can cause water to go from hot to cold not nessesarily tampering

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks