Crazy Kitchen Sink plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Ryan 901, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Ryan 901

Ryan 901 New Member

This is the original construction piping at the house, just tonight, I took it apart to clean it out. Needless to say it was pretty bad. This has always bothered me but finally am taking a good look at it.

I am pretty handly, but probably will seek professional advice, but does anyone have any theories about what the builders were smoking? Why does it tie together above the trap and then into the wall into two places? I assumed both were drains, but maybe something else is going on.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

That top trap white pipe from the wall could be water from something such as the AC condenser drain, or even a softener.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    Somebody cleaned off the shelves down at Depot. Major piece of overkill.

5. MACODEDOC

MACODEDOC New Member

IN SOME JURISDICTIONS A SEPARATE TRAP IS NEEDED FOR THE DISHWASHER, THIS IS WHAT I THINK IS GOING ON, AND THE CONNECTING OF THE 2 BOWELS SHOULD BE DONE WITH 1 TRAP WITH THE GARBAGE DISPOSAL HAVING THE TRAP AND A A WAST ARM OVER FOR THE OTHER SIDE. THE USE OF THE DOUBLY WYE IS BACK PITCHING, JUST NOT A GOOD JOB AT ALL. I HOPE A LICENSED PLUMBER DID NOT INSTALL THIS BUT IS THEY DID SHAME ON YOU. RIP OUT AND HIRE A LICENSED PLUMBER. AND FILE CORRECT PERMITS SO EVERYONE IS COVERED.
    NO NEED FOR AN INDIRECT WASTE TO TIE IN LIKE THAT, ALSO THE FAUCET SUPPLY LINE IS COUGHT AROUND THE TRAP

6. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Is the a bathroom on the other side