Crawl space smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Octavian

Reaction score
HI
I recently got a house built in 1940 Wi, with a basement 30 by 30 feet, plus a 20 by 14 feet crawl space under living room in front towards the street.
this makes the basement smell bad - moldy and it comes in the house too.

crawl space is not vented outside, has 2 access points on each side of the fireplace
the foundation footing for the crawl space is visible towards the house and appears to rest in console against the basement walls as if someone try to dig underneath - or maybe the house had a flood and the water moved the dirt towards the front of the crawl space exposing the footings - about 2-3 feet in length from the full basement towards the other end - red circles on the attached pic.

Also there is a crack vertical the entire length maybe 1/8 - 1/4 inch wide that is through the footing of the crawl space from the top of the wall - orange oval.

Also joists are bouncy and are bricked on the exterior wall - does this mean there is no rim joist?

I am thinking to level all the dirt and push under footing where is missing
add gravel if necessary to level completely - maybe up to top of first row of block
add pink foam everywhere: on walls, ground, and in between joists
seal off with plastic foil

anything else to be done?

Attachments

• basement_small.jpg
    basement_small.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 162
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks