Crane Criterion Thermostatic Shower handle 1963(?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Lisa Jo

Reaction score
I am trying to get the cover off my crane shower handle to replace with a new shower handle and wall unit. But right off the bat ran into trouble! In the picture you will see a round thing that is stopping me from getting the cover off! How do I get the round thing off to get the cover off! It looks like there is a set screw but it is not a set screw! I am trying to save money by not calling a plumber till I get a hole cut in the closet behind the shower!

0D8081A6-5943-43F7-BC98-A512F13BCCC0.jpeg
38DEAD43-D8A9-465F-A98D-9B31D4504159.jpeg

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your valve is Crane Criterion Thermostatic mixing valve. The valve in the wall was made by Powers Co. model 420 Hydroguard. The center screw was not intended to hold the wall plate to the wall. Screws protruding through the oval holes on either side should have threaded studs with nuts to secure. Many parts are still available

crane-criteion-thermostatic-parts-1.jpg

crane-criteion-thermostatic-parts-2.jpg

Attachments

• CRANE THERM.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 119
  • CRANE VALVE.pdf
    18.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:

Lisa Jo

Reaction score
Your valve is Crane Criterion Thermostatic mixing valve. The valve in the wall was made by Powers Co. model 420 Hydroguard. The center screw was not intended to hold the wall plate to the wall. Screws protruding through the oval holes on either side should have threaded studs with nuts to secure. Many parts are still available

crane-criteion-thermostatic-parts-1.jpg

crane-criteion-thermostatic-parts-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lisa Jo

Reaction score
I appreciate the reply! I am wanting to completely take it out how do I get the round copper looking thing off of the unit to get the wall cover off! My pen is right on it! So I can get to the wall unit! I am going to have to poke a hole in the drywall so I will know where to cut the drywall! Do not want to cut any bigger hole in the other side of the wall than I have to! I know how may men will just start cutting a Hugh hole in the wall do not want it any bigger than it has to be ! I wish I would have kept the one I have already took out! Just took it to scrap a 2 weeks ago!

847656A0-2209-47A6-94BC-D291FF556F9D.jpeg

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you look at the drawing that piece is a stem adapter (stem extension). Ideally it should just pull straight out but over the years that is not likely. First I would try to pull the escutcheon plate off leaving the extension alone. It's job is to connect the handle to the valve in the wall. If corrosion has enlarged it you can either try to remove the corrosion or cut the extension off. At this point the escutcheon plate is only being held to the wall with caulking. You may have to pry out from side to side making sute to protect the wall tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks