Crane 3742, Leaking tank after new flush valve and flapper

Users who are viewing this thread

Seekinghelprightnow

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Crane 3742. Toilet was making loud vibrations when flushing, researched and replaced with a new Korky flush valve that also came with a universal 2" Korky flapper. I replaced with the new Korky flush valve and the new Korky flapper, tested, and regrettably disposed of the old valve and flapper when everything seemed good.

Since replacement, I noticed the tank is leaking inside, but water is not visibly on the floor or anywhere else. After several hours of troubleshooting, I've determined its likely the new Korky flapper as when I turn off the water supply, the bowl will drain over time right below the flapper. I've made sure that the flush valve is lined up to the drain valve as it should and that the refill tube is clipped to the top of the overflow tube and not inserted inside the overflow tube. The chain seems to be just right and nothing is catching or holding the flapper. It just seems to be slowly getting by the flapper. I've also confirmed via cranes website that it is supposed to be a 2" flapper for this model.

My leading thought is that the flapper is not sealing properly. I called Korky as instructed in the replacement kit and they agreed that its likely the flapper. They sent me a new "better" model 2" flapper, which I installed and same issue. I'm not quite sure what to do here. I researched OEM or replacement flappers specifically for the Crane 3742, but I cant find anything available. Any advice or tips is highly appreciated. Thanks!

crane-3742.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Will Crane send you the flapper that is meant for your exact toilet? I'd try to call them if I were you and I couldn't find one to fit properly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would pull the tank and replace the flush valve if the flapper won't seal there. Or a good first step may be to try a different brand of flapper there. It looks to be a very standard 2' flush valve, perhaps the edge where is seals has something rough or a nick.

korky-2-kit.jpg

Seekinghelprightnow

Reaction score
I would pull the tank and replace the flush valve if the flapper won't seal there. Or a good first step may be to try a different brand of flapper there. It looks to be a very standard 2' flush valve, perhaps the edge where is seals has something rough or a nick.

Thank you Terry. what do you mean by pulling the tank? The Korky valve didnt require the tank to be removed if thats what you mean (sorry I'm not experienced at this). How does the flush valve obstruct the flapper when they are separated from each other? The flush valve seems to be working fine so I'm not sure if it would be the cause?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Korky is your fill valve, located on the left, and connected to the water supply.
The flush valve holds the flapper and has a overflow tube.

keeney-toilet-flush-valve.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
OP how did you change the valve without changing the tank? are you saying you replaced a flapper and a fill valve?
You replaced everything why would crane be involved?
Maybe you got a nick or the overflow pipe cracked at base who knows but changing the flush valve without pulling tank is confusing info please explain

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
wait a minute you did not change flush valve as I re read and you state the flapper and flush valve are separated. you got the parts names mixed up and changed the wrong part

Seekinghelprightnow

Reaction score
OP how did you change the valve without changing the tank? are you saying you replaced a flapper and a fill valve?
You replaced everything why would crane be involved?
Maybe you got a nick or the overflow pipe cracked at base who knows but changing the flush valve without pulling tank is confusing info please explain

Sorry, let me be clear.

The toilet is a crane plumbing toilet, 3742. I had issues from the fill valve and read online to replace it to fix issues. I ordered a universal korky fill valve replacement kit that does not require removal of the tank to replace it, see what I ordered here:

korky-platinum-fill-flapper-kit.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LK6V4KM?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

As you can see from the product, it includes a flapper as well. I so I swapped the flapper too. after the fill valve. The fill valve appears to work fine in that it fills the tank upon flushing to the overfill line as it seems to need. Note, I only replaced the fill valve and flapper I did not remove the tank nor did I remove the overflow tube as its not required.

Update. I actually have another crane 3742 toilet in the house. I removed the flapper from that toilet (which currently works fine) and placed into the the issue tank. I am still getting a leak right after the drain hole. There's still water in the tank its just below the drain hole, so it seems to be a flapper, but this flapper works fine in the other tank. What is going on here?

Seekinghelprightnow

Reaction score
Sorry, let me be clear.

The toilet is a crane plumbing toilet, 3742. I had issues from the fill valve and read online to replace it to fix issues. I ordered a universal korky fill valve replacement kit that does not require removal of the tank to replace it, see what I ordered here:

As you can see from the product, it includes a flapper as well. I so I swapped the flapper too. after the fill valve. The fill valve appears to work fine in that it fills the tank upon flushing to the overfill line as it seems to need. Note, I only replaced the fill valve and flapper I did not remove the tank nor did I remove the overflow tube as its not required.

Update. I actually have another crane 3742 toilet in the house. I removed the flapper from that toilet (which currently works fine) and placed into the the issue tank. I am still getting a leak right after the drain hole. There's still water in the tank its just below the drain hole, so it seems to be a flapper, but this flapper works fine in the other tank. What is going on here?

Would the next best thing to do would be to replace the flush valve if its not the flapper?

Reach4

Reaction score
Update. I actually have another crane 3742 toilet in the house. I removed the flapper from that toilet (which currently works fine) and placed into the the issue tank. I am still getting a leak right after the drain hole.
Are you talking about the overflow pipe? And by leak, are you saying water goes down the overflow, and the fill valve intermittently turns on to make up the lost water?

Turn off the water to the toilet, with the stop valve at the wall, and let things sit for a while. At what level does the water stop dropping?
Common answers would be about 1/2 inch below the top of the overflow pipe, and in the middle of the flush valve where the flapper meets the flush valve seat.

How about posting a photo of your toilet tank today, similar to the photo showing in #1 post above?

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry, let me be clear.

View attachment 76042

Ok so it was bad info in the start .
So lets forget about the fill valve .
there are 2 and only 2 possibilities basing it solely on your info. 1 flapper 2 flush valve ok maybe 3 possibilities something with the chain or handle hanging up.
Maybe you cracked the overflow tube while working on it but this or you damaged the seat where the flapper seals .
No Idea why it happened but that's it in a nut shell replace anything or every thing in there if you want .
I'm guessing you busted the FLUSH VALVE ASSEMBLY and it needs replaced fill valve sound like its good

Seekinghelprightnow

Reaction score
Ok so it was bad info in the start .
So lets forget about the fill valve .
there are 2 and only 2 possibilities basing it solely on your info. 1 flapper 2 flush valve ok maybe 3 possibilities something with the chain or handle hanging up.
Maybe you cracked the overflow tube while working on it but this or you damaged the seat where the flapper seals .
No Idea why it happened but that's it in a nut shell replace anything or every thing in there if you want .
Im guessing you busted the FLUSH VALVE ASSEMBLY and it needs replaced fill valve sound like its good
Thank you Jeff! I will order a new flush valve and replace it and report back. Thanks again.

Seekinghelprightnow

Reaction score
Update:

Replaced flush valve with a new one, tested and it has solved the tank leak. I did inspect the old flush valve and I cant visibly see a crack to have cause the leak. Thank you to all for the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks