Cracks in PEX?

Users who are viewing this thread

tru504187211

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -- Using Uponor PEX tubing, I terminated 4 1/2" lines onto a copper manifold. I did this with two manifolds...one for the hot lines and one for the cold lines. Inspecting the lines, all of the cold 1/2" terminations are fine...but, 3 of the 4 hot 1/2" lines on the manifold, have visible cracks near the ring.

To terminate the lines, I'm using the Milwaukee tool, Uponor rings, and a Sioux Chief ProPex manifold.

Is this particular roll of Uponor tubing defective? Does PEX not behave well when being terminated in a cold basement (53 F)?

Attachments

• 20210218_173542[1].jpg
    20210218_173542[1].jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 418
  • 20210218_173542[1].jpg
    20210218_173542[1].jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 337

tru504187211

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Terry. Is it your professional opinion that the marks are not in any way, compromising the integrity of those joints? Would you recommend that I run these lines once more, perhaps with a different coil of tubing?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
With spare fittings, heat the end of the red PEX in a bucket of warm water to help soften it a bit, then make a connection. After it cools take a look at it.

tru504187211

Reaction score
Looking a bit closer at this issue...I looked at a cold line that I terminated around the same time (blue pipe). Same issue with cracking around the fitting. I used my nail to scrape away the blue coloring...and the crack was in the white as well.

Does it seem that I have defective Uponor tubing?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my opinion, that looks superficial. You might try contacting Uponor to see what they say.

From the Uponor warranty page:

Warranty Claim Process (for building owners and homeowners only): Written notification of an alleged failure of, or defect in, any Uponor part or product identified herein should be sent to Uponor, Attn: Warranty Department, 5925 148th Street West, Apple Valley, Minnesota 55124 or by facsimile to (866) 351-8402, and must be received by Uponor within thirty (30) days after detection of an alleged failure or defect occurring within the applicable warranty period. All products alleged to be defective must be sent to Uponor for inspection and testing for determination of the cause of the alleged failure or defect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks