Cracked toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I am installing new tile in my bathroom. This is over a concrete slab.

When I started to lay the final tiles around the toilet flange I noticed a crack around the inside of the flange.

I remember seeing a line at the same location when I started the project but now it is about a 1/16" crack halfway around the flange. Originally I did not have bolts holding the flange to the floor. I figured If the pipe is in cement and it wont move. But the tension on the toilet bolts probably stressed the flange and caused the crack.

When I installed this flange about 20 years ago, I busted out a 10-12" hole in the floor.
Is there an easier way to do this so I just bust the cement around the pipe and flange?

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 716
Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to bust concrete. Assuming the pipe has enough length before the bend, it can be cut from the inside and a new piece spliced in. You might have to shave a little bit to get the coupler down the hole.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the pipe was cemented in, you would have never gotten the outside toilet flange on.

Once the pipe is cut, it can be pulled out of the hole. It might take some prying and prodding, but concrete does not stick well to PVC. If you are having trouble, make cuts an inch apart and pull it out in pieces.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Now you know why I, and most plumbers, do NOT use an all plastic flange. There are several ways that MIGHT work to remove the flange, but there may be only ONE that works for you, and I am not sure which one it is. I would have to actually be there before deciding how I would do it.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
OK, I busted out the concrete around the toilet flange. I musted out a little mre than need to get rid of some high spots.
If I make the new flange level with the top of the tile I will have to raise the nevel of the flange about 1/2".
This means the pipe coming out of the ground will not come up all the way in the flange. It is about 1/2" from the edge on the flange. (See the photo)

Is this enough to hold the flange and make it water tight?

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 660
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks