Cracked outdoor hose-spigot pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Davis

Reaction score
1- make sure you didn't also unsolder the male adapter from the assembly in the process.

looks like you tried to twist the copper pipe out of the brass. You're better off tapping it out.

With a second set of hands. Get some heat absorbing putty to put on the 3/4 copper body / brass adapter so you don't unsolder that part. Gently clamp the assembly to a work bench that won't move or wiggle. Clamp a vicegrip pliers to the end of the copper pipe. Then with just enough heat that the solder melts.. tap the vice grip with a hammer away from the brass.

A propane torch flame is hottest at the tip of the bright blue flame.. Every distance further away from that point is less hot. Solder melts at a significantly less temperature than that hottest part of the flame.. you can maintain the 800° needed to keep solder molten an inch or 2 from the hottest bit of the flame.

You likely have 1 chance to get that pipe out. The method I described will ruin the roundness of the tip of that pipe, but I suspect that its already at that point.

@Tuttles Revenge, it was sound advice, but for whatever reason, that copper pipe just didn’t want to come out, and the heat blocking putty that I purchased was about as useless as tits on a bull—it was a crumbly mess.

I’ve got another few rounds in me, so
I ordered a new hose bibb.
C6B86A6A-906F-4FCE-892D-F57D0BAF842A.jpeg

0F02BB81-EE27-434D-99BC-3D6AEB31159B.jpeg

Aftermath:

608B793E-B577-4947-A6F1-447FCE6BF4C4.jpeg

Jeff Davis

Reaction score
Dang.. well, that was a valiant effort!

Well, after multiple battles, I've believe that my mission is mostly accomplished! I know that it isn't the prettiest, but you've gotta learn somehow.

I soldered many fittings and added a shutoff valve with some tinning flux and lead-free solder; however, my fire/heat-resistant blanket was rubbish, so soldering two of the slip couplings near the power lines was unsuccessful (leaks), since the damn blanket kept catching on fire. So I used a SharkBite slip fitting in that trouble spot, and I used a SharkBite coupler on the vertical section b/c I was exhausted and my wife was getting impatient.

Critiques are definitely welcome. Thanks @PlumbNuts @Tuttles Revenge @Reach4 @Sarg @WorthFlorida for all the great advice!

IMG_6941.jpg

IMG_6942.jpg

IMG_6943.jpg

IMG_6944.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its hard to tell from the angle of the photo.. but does the slope of the hose spigot point downwards to the exterior? I suspect that virginia can freeze in the winter and the design of a frost free hose spigot is that the water drains to the outside once turned off.

Quarterball

In the Trades
Reaction score
Keep in mind the Woodford Model 25 has an internal mechanism that allows the hydrant to drain after shutoff even if the hose is left attached and coiled above the outlet. Once the hydrant is closed, the water drains out those little holes you see under the plastic ring around the packing nut. If the hydrant is installed flat against the siding, the angle of the flange will take care of the downward pitch. But, the hose outlet must be slightly higher than the handle so the chamber between the handle & the outlet drains.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks