Cracked furnace heat exchanger - Carrier 58PAV

Users who are viewing this thread

Beets

Reaction score
I just had my furnace replaced. I was surprised when they pulled it as every heat exchange in it had a crack, yet we were completely unaware. I was curious how often that happens?

We have 3 CO detectors in our house, and we've never had an alarm. Last furnace cleaning was two years ago, and they didn't spot any problems. It's really hard for me to believe there weren't any problems at that time. I'm curious how much these furnace cleaning companies can actually see?

Fitter30

Reaction score
The furnace that have venter fans 85% efficient have the heat exchanger in a negative pressure, the 95% all depends where the crack is. Older furnaces with no vent fan standing pilot with a crack they have the possibility to leak co. A furnace check up should include a burner analyzer to check the readings. If there is a crack the readings will be off and installation operation manual should say what normal readings are.

Beets

Reaction score
Thank you. Who would normally do a "furnace check-up"? I had a duct cleaning company do my check up. Maybe that is the wrong person? They cut a bunch of 1" holes in the ducting. He peered through one of those 1" holes with a flash light and said he didn't see any problems. Now that I've seen what a heat exchange looks like, I know that there is very little of the surface area of the heat exchange he could have seen. I didn't appreciate that at the time. Was he not following best practices? Do I need to ask specifically for a burner analysis? Is that a common part of a furnace inspection? Who provides that service?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't do furnace work but a guess would be that some or many would require removal of heat exchanger for a complete and thorough inspection. perhaps someone who knows can verify if all are able to be inspected easily or not. my guess and again just a guess that many go years decades with out a look

Beets

Reaction score
My guess is that a cracked heat exchanger is pretty common and it's a pretty rare case where combustion gases end up in the house in any significant quantity. I could be very wrong, but if every heat exchanger in my furnace was cracked and I didn't know about it, furnace inspection didn't pick up on it, and CO detectors didn't know, than either I just won the lottery, or this happens frequently.

As an interesting tidbit on how good CO detectors are, I would like to tell you a story.....I put an addition on my house. That included adding to the basement. At some point, I needed to cut a hole from the basement in the addition into our existing house. I rented a gas powered cutting machine. The floor of the addition had already been installed, so I was working in a closed in area with a gas powered machine for an hour or two. I had box fan set up to get as much air in through the window as possible as I knew there was risk. With the wood framed wall and poly still in place (the basement was framed and insulated - this is Canada), I managed to set off the CO detector on the opposite side of the house even though I was working on the other side of an intact vapour barrier. The CO had to have traveled through the cut in the concrete, through the insulated wall, found it's way around the vapour barrier (probably in the floor studs), risen to a level sufficient to set off a CO detector that was 45 feet away. Yet that was insufficient CO to knock me down on the opposite side of the wall where the CO had to be 100's of times higher. I've had CO poisoning before (working on a car), so I was watching my vitals pretty closely as I was doing this job. I was/am truly shocked at how good CO detectors are!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
C O detectors save lives too , As far as I know a cracked exchanger doesn't mean its putting excessive CO any where . But if cracked should not be left in service regardless. probably millions in use with cracks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks