Cracked drain pipe under shower concrete slab

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by HBfixer, Sep 4, 2015.

1. HBfixer

HBfixer New Member

Hey guys,

I have discovered that the horizontal cast iron (I think) pipe is cracked (with a chunk fallen out) all the way (it seems) to the vent pipe in my 1962 house. This is about 15" of pipe. Before I found this I was planning to use Fernco to attach ABS pipe for a new P trap.

What are my options? Is there a way to cut out the bad pipe and replace at the vent pipe without cutting out a section of that? Perhaps there's a way to salvage the pipe and reline it from the inside (it's pretty rusty inside)? I'm sure the rest of the pipe under the slab is delicate and brittle so the less invasive the better.

Thanks,
    Walter

Attached Files:

2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Any patch job would be a waste of time and effort. You already have concrete repair to do, so get rid of the whole mess, replace all the way to the main drain, pour new concrete, and live happily ever after.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. HBfixer

HBfixer New Member

Thanks, yes it occurred to me after posting that knocking out the bad pipe is the way to go. I was just worried that it would mean taking a section out of the vent pipe (or should I call it the main drain?). Is there a way to avoid this and attach a pipe in place of the old one? What material do you suggest?

5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Since you appear to have a CI drain system, sight unseen I would expect the pipe in question is leaded into the stack. If that is correct, then you can remove the lead, usually with a series of drilled holes, then using a rubber doughnut to make the connection for a new line either PVC or ABS. Please note: I'm definitely not a pro plumber and if any of those members that are pro chime in with different opinions, I would urge you to consider them carefully.

HBfixer likes this.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I would replace with ABS or PVC.
    With cast iron pipes and the pictures you have posted, one more reason not to use caustic drain cleaners. The pipes take a beating.
    With what you have there, it's going to be a matter of finding something that is good enough to connect to.

HBfixer likes this.