Cracked cast iron wye

Users who are viewing this thread

Torch0395

Reaction score
When putting in PVC coupling for new shower drain line it looks like the hub has been cracked. What’s my options here? I would have to chop back cement im assuming, just unsure if I will have a place to connect on the cast iron even if I open it up more. Any other options?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep.. that one is done. If it were above grade and always visible, I might attempt a repair... But if that is going to be under slab, then your only option is to excavate to the next hub and try there. If that goes out to the sewer it may be easier to dig a big hole outside and bring in a new line.

Torch0395

Reaction score
Yep.. that one is done. If it were above grade and always visible, I might attempt a repair... But if that is going to be under slab, then your only option is to excavate to the next hub and try there. If that goes out to the sewer it may be easier to dig a big hole outside and bring in a new line.
How much further do you think I have to go into the concrete to get to the next possible connection? I’m unfamiliar with cast iron. Would the slip end of this wye go into a hub, a coupling?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could, in a bad situation, encase the whole thing in concrete. That would keep everything contained and together. But yes the way to go is chipping out more concrete and replacing it with pvc and fernco's.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
How much further do you think I have to go into the concrete to get to the next possible connection? I’m unfamiliar with cast iron. Would the slip end of this wye go into a hub, a coupling?
The Wye is about 18" long. It would be connected to another hub. Either pipe or another fitting. Cutting the PVC and looking down the line will allow you to visually see that connection and whether its an offset or straight piece. If its the foundation and exterior then likely its pipe extending a bit and transitioning to concrete or clay hub.

I didn't look earlier, but just now noticed that you're in NY... and some jurisdictions like NYC limit the usage of PVC in certain buildings. Something to consider.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks