CPVC Union Ball Valve as Main Shut Off

Users who are viewing this thread

dauber man

Reaction score
My condo pluming is CPVC pipe and the main water shutoff which is located in the water heater closet is currently a regular CPVC ball valve which is extremely difficult to turn.

I was thinking of replacing it with a CPVC Union Ball Valve that from what I can tell is supposed to be higher quality and also removable.

I believe these CPVC union ball valves are Schedule 80 CPVC (grey) while I believe I have Schedule 40 CPVC (off white / tan in color) pipe.

Can these (schedule 80) be glued onto a schedule 40 CPVC pipe?

Are there other better solutions to replace the current difficult to turn CPVC ball valve?

Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
Can these (schedule 80) be glued onto a schedule 40 CPVC pipe?
Schedule 80 CPVC could be glued onto schedule 40 CPVC, but not the more common CTS CPVC pipe.

However looking at your link, I did not see it say those valves were schedule 80 or what.

dauber man

Reaction score
Thank you. These valves are all Schedule 80... You bring up another question.

I'm not sure if the CPVC pipes in my home are CTS CPVC or regular CPVC. It's not written on the pipe.

Is CTS CPVC required in California?

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a digital caliper, and measure the OD.

CTS size is 1/8 inch (0.125) bigger OD than the nominal size.

Click Inbox, above

CTS is not going to be required, but it will be the norm in homes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks