CPVC to brass connector leak, correct connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Trying to help a friend.

They claim there is leak at this connection(see photo) , supply CPVC cold water in-goes to water meter mounted on top of a hot water heater, interior closet.

when I checked it, it was perfectly dry, no leak. Nor sure how they could have an intermittent leak if it's' under constant pressure? any ideas about that?

Changed this title and main question, is this a valid type of connection?

Main incoming water supply. Left side of brass connector has a washer that is deteriorating, right side that screws in to the CPVC to brass has no washer and is not very deep

Attachments

• Plumbing leak.jpg
    Plumbing leak.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,570
Last edited:

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
First cut the tie wrap to get it out of the way. Put a wrench where the tie wrap was. Using second wrench unscrew the big nut of the union. Then holding the small nut unscrew the union. Clean the threads of both. Coat the threads with a generous coating of pipe dope or TFE paste. I prefer pipe dope or TFE paste to Teflon tape. Reassemble and tighten securely. Replace tie wrap.

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that

I ass-umed that it wouldn't unscrew cause the PVC to brass is fixed.

They just sent me a photo, that it started leaking again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, plastic pipe shouldn't be installed within 18" of the WH's outlet if I remember correctly.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
I ass-umed that it wouldn't unscrew cause the PVC to brass is fixed.
The brass nut screws into the PVC adapter or is bonded together by the manufacturer. The hex shaped pipe screws into the brass nut, that is where the leak appears to be.
Don't forget to turn water off at the street.

Last edited:

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
It's an electric water heater. The meter was added on when this unit was converted from the cheapest poorly built pos apartment that it was, to the current poorly constructed condo, and sits on top of the water heater.

I managed to get the fittings apart, but had to use a large pipe wrench using a tremendous amount of force, not good with old CPVC(brittle) and heavy brass fittings. Was just waiting for it to snap in 3 places.

Cleaned threads and added sealant paste, tightened, and still leaking. Looks like it's not leaking at the brass, but from the CPVC just in front the brass threaded area

Pin hole leak maybe where the female brass to CPVC is glued. They just had a new laminate floor installed, don't want to be the one left holding the potatoe, or goose whatever. advised they call a licensed plumber and re-pipe the whole enchilada, know when to fold

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Hey, one more thought, is there a problem with the fitting? On the right side, where the brass connects to the cpvc, there is no washer, it's just a screw in threaded connector and not very deep

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
What about the other side, is a washer that deteriorates allowed in the potable drinking water on the supply side? Is there a better connector that can be used?

Attachments

• CPVC to brass fitting.jpg
    CPVC to brass fitting.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,004

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to turn off the hot water heater if working on the adjacent piping. When I removed the fitting the first time, the water kept dripping.Probably from the pressure?? any other recommendations?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks