CPVC pipe to Hose bib temporary plug

Users who are viewing this thread

David Prickett

Reaction score
My house hose bib busted off 1/2" CPVC. (I not that great at DIY but I need to save from being gouged). The pipe broke where there's a fitting over it. So, I can't just glue on a cap. It's bigger than 1/2 and less than the next size up.

Is there any easy plug out there that will hold for a few days so I can keep my house water on??

It's too daunting of a task for me to hack into my concrete wall just to get a clean cut at the 1/2" CPVC so I could cap it and I don't want to pay for 'emergency service' on New Years Eve and Day

David Prickett

Reaction score
Here's a picture of my situation

Attachments

• IMG_20191230_220635067.jpg
    IMG_20191230_220635067.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 297

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/2" CPVC is 5/8" OD and smaller than 1/2" on the inside. It does get brittle with age.
Maybe someone has an idea for that. If I were on the job, I would need to open things up and find a section I could cap or couple too. I don't have any inside pipe fittings for that.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tough situation! Maybe you could get a small bag of quick-setting hydraulic cement (or some such), and pour it down the pipe, after jamming
a stopper wad down first, so you don't fill the whole underground pipe system. Might ooze a little after you turn the water back on after it's
well set up, but not much I'll wager.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Get a 1/2 sharkbite CPVC cap. Chip away at the concrete or foam, whatever it might be, around the CPVC pipe to expose about an inch or two of pipe. Then push on the end cap. However, there seems to be a pipe within a pipe. Is the CPVC the white color pipe and a yellow outer one a sleeve to protect the CPVC pipe? If it is you need to cut it away of possible. If this sleeve is a 3/4" PVC, sharkbite makes a 3/4" end caps and for all nominal sized pipes.

It looks like it has happened before since the stucco is all peeled off a long time ago. The new spigot should have a flange to anchor.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...nect-Brass-End-Stop-Fitting-U514LFA/202270531

David Prickett

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Yes, that's a coupler I guess glued to the 1/2" CPVC. I bought a 1/2" Shark bite but it's too small because of the coupler. A 3/4" coupler is too big.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
maybe you could screw in an appropriate sized bolt packed with pipe dope or teflon tape? I would use a size that barely threads in. too small and it will pop out. too big and you might split the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks